What is the best way to archive AVCHD in RAW format on my Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is the best way to archive AVCHD in RAW format on my Mac

My mom just got a S10 and I will be doing the editing. I want to archive all RAW footage. Using OS X 10.5/Mac Pro what is the best way/way I can automate archiving so file structure is preserved etc?

This would be the next killer app from Apple. Aperture for AVCHD storage. My idea is to make virtual tapes/projects names to know how long I've been doing this for :D
Trevor Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Could you not use iPhoto 09' as it can do almost all that and accepts video? I don't know about AVCHD, but I use it for .MP4
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ouellette View Post
Could you not use iPhoto 09' as it can do almost all that and accepts video? I don't know about AVCHD, but I use it for .MP4
AVCHD requires a special file/folder structure.
Trevor Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Tourist

There's an app called videopierHD that can handle avchd-file collections without the special folder-structure:
VideoPier - The mising link between your MPEG2 / HDV / AVCHD camcorder and your mac

I've tested the try-out, but it wasn't what i looked for. Probably it's an option for you.
I started to make disk-images from my recorded cards to archiv them.
Oliver Schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Use Toast 9 or 10. It can copy AVCHD onto regular DVD (without transcoding). It will span larger files as well onto several discs as needed.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Disk Utility

Or you use the above app to make a .img copy of the disk image and archive that. Then back up the archive. Hard drives are getting so cheap this is more cost effective than using Canon's DVD backup burner, though that works fine too. And it will be a LOT cheaper than backup to Blu-Ray whenever Apple gets around to supporting it natively. At least until the blank media becomes more reasonable.

I'm hoping that the next version of FCP will have a more elegant solution for AVCHD since it's becoming ubiquitous. Right now the one thing you DON'T want to do is back up the transcoded files in FCP as they are massively larger than the original AVCHD ones.

The future of long term back up is murky here as we move away from tape.
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello,

I have had a similar issue with my Sony camcorder. Both viewing or editing the footage require translating the files to something the Mac can understand.

So far I have failed to find an application to allow you to watch AVCHD on the Mac without losing image quality, and the same goes for editing. I have recently decided to do my editing on a PC using Sony Vegas. The MAC, to date only handles the footage after it has been changed to another format (.MOV).

You can connect the camera to the Mac and import the footage to iMovie or FCE. This will translate the footage to .MOV quicktime format.
You can then edit the footage, save the file and watch it back.
However, in my case, the very act of translating to .MOV resulted in quality degradation to the point I did not want to use it.

There are various app's that claim to translate AVCHD with no loss, Voltiac, MPEG Streamclip etc. You can try these, perhaps your experience will be better than mine.

Until Apple provide the ability to edit and play AVCHD you are going to have to change the format first, try the iMovie 08 or 09 first and see if the results are good enough for you.

As far as archiving the footage, use Toast 10. This will allow you to archive off the footage.
Giles Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Tourist

Have you tried using Final Cut Express on your Mac? It seems to be working OK for this person (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1007535-post22.html) and it looks as though the quality as a final DVD is as good as the original AVCHD files.

While I'm at it, I was wondering if for archiving purposes the following might not be one way to go:

- record movies on 8GB SDHC cards
- capture the movies with FCE
- then copy the raw AVCHD content as it is on each 8GB SDHC cards directly onto DVD-R DL (would fit perfectly I imagine).

I'm new to AVCHD (thinking of getting the HF11) and I'm trying to sort out my workflow before I make the jump.
David Snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Transferring to DVD-R single or DL works fine. Canon sells a burner for this purpose, and the finished DVD's read like disk images when you pop them into your Mac. The burner automatically breaks up the files so they span as many disks as needed, It's just tediously slow. Also, I don't know how archival the DVD's are. They only record to DVD-R, not +R of which the DL's are more expensive and harder to find. Odd choice by Canon.

Like I mentioned, the Blu-Ray disks, especially the DL are, right now, pretty spendy, though they will come down just like DVD's did.

A Drobo back up system might be an alternative for hard disk archiving. The new version is both quiet and fast. Reviews were mixed though I'm told they've improved enormously. Right now, the cheapest solution is a large hard drive which you store along with a copy of it on another drive.
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #10
New Boot

Archive

I am not sure this is an option as I have not tried it myself but Imovie 09 has an Archive option for your AVCHD files if you want to give that a try.
Rick Stuve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion