Telephoto lenses for SR11? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Telephoto lenses for SR11?

OK one more question! After conducting a search on this forum, I have not found what I am looking for (perhaps I am too impatient).

What is a good telephoto lens for the SR11? Is the Sony VCL-HG1737C a good lense? Anything better? I will be on vacation in four weeks (heading out west) and want a good lense that won't degrade my video quality for when I later produce AVCHD footage on a DVD.

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Mike,
I don't know about the Sony lens, but I've just bought the Canon TL-H37 37mm 1.5X Tele Converter for my HF10.
It's very very good...
Just make sure that you use it with a good steady tripod though!
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Robin. Yes, I use a tripod the majority of the time. Does your lens show any black ring around the outside of the scene when it is zoomed back?

Mike
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes it does - there is vignetting at the widest setting - but I don't need to come out too wide, since there's still plenty of variation before having to take it off to go back to the internal lens.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Bummer.

Are there any telephoto lenses out there that have a lesser problem with viginetting?
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Raynox has a couple of excellent converters for SR-11 : Raynox High Definition Conversion Lens Accessories for SONY HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 AVCHD Camcorders
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Raynox HD-2200, that I use on my HC9 and some still cameras. It is very sharp and shows no distortion at the edges. It causes vignetting below 60% zoom on the HC9.
They now sell a slightly different model number, but it's the same lens with an alternate collection of step-rings.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Is it safe for me to assume that all telephoto lenses suffer from vignetting when one zooms back?

Mike
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

yup... the only way I can think of to avoid it might be to get a substantially larger diameter lens and use a stepdown ring, not even sure that would eliminate the problem entirely.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Sony VCL-DH1774 Telextender?

If you wanted to spend about $130. and experiment with a Sony VCL-DH1774 telextender, you might be able to avoid all or almost all vignetting on a camcorder with a 37mm mounting thread. Pemaraal sells a 58mm to 74mm step-up ring and you can get a 37mm to 58mm step-up ring at B&H. You'd need them both. The DH1774 is designed for Sony digital still cameras and has very sharp resolution. It's a real bargain for its price and you could use it on larger cameras and camcorders, with the right step-rings. It gives 1.7X magnification. I use its smaller relative on my HC9, the DH1758, where it vignettes below 60% zoom.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks, I was afraid of that. As for the step up rings, I will give that some thought. In your opinions, is the DH1758 a better lens than the Sony HG1737C?

Thanks again.
Mike
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
Thanks, I was afraid of that. As for the step up rings, I will give that some thought. In your opinions, is the DH1758 a better lens than the Sony HG1737C?

Thanks again.
Mike
Mike, I haven't used the Sony HG1737C, but I imagine that it is comparable in optical quality to the DH1758, except that the latter is larger. Since the DH1758 was originally designed to fit digital photo cameras, with 6-MP or 7-MP sensors, its resolution level is plenty high enough for HD video. From my comparisons with the Raynox DCR-2020PRO, a 2.2X telex with a 260 line per mm. resolution, I estimate the DH1758 to have at least a 220 line per mm. capability. As I mentioned, a 37mm to 58mm step-up ring is stocked at B&H.

I've used the DH1758 on my HC9 for about 2/3 of all my shooting of wildlife and other long-range subjects. Since it vignettes only below 30% zoom, it is practical to leave it on the camcorder most of the time. I also use it on my Canon S5 photo camera and plan to put it on a Sony HX1, with my own fiberglass lens adaptor tube.

I'm now also using a small Raynox HD-2200 telex, which is working very well on the HC9, giving 2.2X, but it vignettes below 60% zoom. Users of the large DH1774 Sony telex, say it's at least as sharp as the DH1758. The DH1774 might work on one of the larger HD camcorders that have 72mm mounting threads, with a 72mm to 74mm step-up ring, that can be found at one of the places I mentioned in the previous message. With both the DH1758 and HD-2200, the autofocus on my HC9 works fine. Good luck in finding the right lens.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Regular Crew

As I understand it the Sony 1.7x is the only one that Sony recommends. So if you buy it and it doesn't work brilliantly, you're well within your rights to return it.

If you do buy it, I'd be very interested in what you views. I like filming surfing and the 10x almost gets me there. I'm happy using digital zoom but the 1.7x adapter would definitely do the trick.

I think there is a setting in the camera you need to change when the 1.7x is being used
Rob Croll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Croll View Post
As I understand it the Sony 1.7x is the only one that Sony recommends. So if you buy it and it doesn't work brilliantly, you're well within your rights to return it.

If you do buy it, I'd be very interested in what you views. I like filming surfing and the 10x almost gets me there. I'm happy using digital zoom but the 1.7x adapter would definitely do the trick.

I think there is a setting in the camera you need to change when the 1.7x is being used

I just got the Sony lens yesterday, and today it is raining. As soon as the weather cooperates, I will take the cam and lens out to the Lake Michigan shoreline and give it all a try. I will then let you know my impressions.

Mike
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Two weeks later and I still have not tested the new lens. Hopefully will yet this weekend. Is there anything I should know as far as differences in settings that the camcorder should be set at?

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion