Flashbulb artifact at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flashbulb artifact

Using the Canon Vixia HFS100 (and the H100 before that) I noted an annoying artifact, at least in ProRes transcoded video. When a flashbulb goes off, it confuses the codec and you get a sharp, artifactly looking horizontal split screen with bright in one half and dark in the other. Usable but totally annoying. Would be a bigger deal if you were filming some event with a LOT of flashbulbs going off. Anybody else notice this?

Jim B
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

CMOS, Rolling shutter, that horse has been thoroughly beaten...

To summarize... yes, it's annoying, for some it's a deal killer, 99% of the viewing public never notice it anyway... it's the way CMOS chip cameras "work".
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I had noted the rolling shutter threads but never actually read them. As you said, most folks won't notice anyway. I suppose each new technology has its artifacts. People had never heard line static until they used Alexander Graham Bell's new fangled telephones but quickly accepted it as inevitable.

Jim B
Jim Babcock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion