Control of sound in SR11? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Control of sound in SR11?

I recently recorded a two man music performance with my SR11. The cam was plugged directly into the onstage mics in order to get a clear recording of the music. However, when I played the recording back, there was a distinct hissing sound in the spots between the music phrases. I have been told that it was because I had not turned my "autogain" off. So I looked and could not find anything about any autogain controls with the cams sound.

Is there such a thing on the SR11? If not, is there a way to prevent the gain from turning up when there is complete silence between the music phrases?

Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No manual audio level

Mike,
As you have discovered, the SR 111 has no manual control for audio level. The audio limiter prevents the audio signal from exceeding 0dB. Which helps when recording voices, not good for music.
Did you try setting the MICREF LEVEL to low instead of normal. The (zoom mic needs to be off for the Micref to be set to low.) That and the 5.1 ch settings are about all there is to work with in the camera.
Tom Cadwalader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I was wondering about the "low" level setting. Too bad about the lack of settings on this cam. Guess I'll have to check out other cams from other companies this coming winter.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
New Boot

I purchased a Sony HDR-XR520V but ended up returning it because the lack of manual audio controls was a dealbreaker. If you are comfortable enough with setting your own audio levels, and you have the audio equipment that would make the added hassle worthwhile, then another camera would probably be a better choice.
Bryan Bilocura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

if the sound is so important for you guys, why not considering to do as professional recording is set ? recording the sound separate on a dat or other support, then you sync it in post inside your edit soft.
If you use a clap or something else to help the sync, it should not be a problem at all and you would have better result.
So if you are happy with the video quality all you need is a dat recorder that can be plugg on the out of the table...

all perfect in one is just a dream for consumer products

cheers Olivier
Olivier Jezequel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion