Lost in Vegas with AVCHD. Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Lost in Vegas with AVCHD. Help!

Recently got a Panasonic TS-1 camera that shoots AVCHD lite in 720P. I'm trying to edit with Vegas 9 Pro 64 bit. I starting my project settings to "match my media". I can preview the footage without any problems when not in the timeline. As soon as I place footage in timeline to view in preview window, video has weird contrast flicker with no dropped frames. I also rendered and saved as MP4 but still had weird flicker. Tried changing dynamic ram from default 300 up to 4000 of 5500 total available with no success. I have a self build Windows 7 64 bit OS 2.6 Ghz quad core processor, 6 gigs of ram and two large SATA 7200 HD's. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Roy Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Campana View Post
I have a self build Windows 7 64 bit OS 2.6 Ghz quad core processor, 6 gigs of ram and two large SATA 7200 HD's. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
My thoughts:

1. Your computer isn't fast enough
2. Transcode to MXF or a .AVI file with a good editing codec (like cineform)
3. Edit as normal.

Done.

Good luck.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
My thoughts:

1. Your computer isn't fast enough
2. Transcode to MXF or a .AVI file with a good editing codec (like cineform)
3. Edit as normal.

Done.

Good luck.
What Perrone Said.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

IF you just need to edit and are not particular about preview full resolution just set Preview to AUTO. It will reduce resolution for you to edit. The render file will not be effected. I edit AVCHD all the time on Q9450 2.6Mhz Quad core, 8G RAM, Vista 64 using Vegas 8.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the same Panny TS1 camera and a similar editing rig.

Definitely set the preview resolution to Auto.

It's a bit of a pain, but I always convert the AVCHD Lite clips to MPEG2 HDV 720P 30P via batch render in Vegas. Then I start a new project and edit the MPEG2 clips. (I'm sure Cineform is better, but this workflow has been successful for me so far). AVCHD just isn't a good editing format. Transcode the files and you will be much happier.

If you are interested, this entire video was shot with the TS1.

YouTube - RVIA? We've Been There!

(It's kind of ridiculous owning a Sony EX1 and shooting with a TS1, but the EX1 doesn't fit in my pocket. ;-))
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
I have the same Panny TS1 camera and a similar editing rig.

Definitely set the preview resolution to Auto.

It's a bit of a pain, but I always convert the AVCHD Lite clips to MPEG2 HDV 720P 30P via batch render in Vegas. Then I start a new project and edit the MPEG2 clips. (I'm sure Cineform is better, but this workflow has been successful for me so far). AVCHD just isn't a good editing format. Transcode the files and you will be much happier.

If you are interested, this entire video was shot with the TS1.

YouTube - RVIA? We've Been There!

(It's kind of ridiculous owning a Sony EX1 and shooting with a TS1, but the EX1 doesn't fit in my pocket. ;-))
I would go with the recommendations from other members first. Transcode to either MXF or AVI before performing any editing besides cutting out unwanted footage and/or stitching together multiple clips of the same format and similar video bitrates. Normally I would not transcode directly from AVCHD to MPEG-2 HDV or lesser because transcoding from a lossy codec to another lossy codec at or near the same bitrate would result in some reduction in image quality. In fact, IIRC HDV has always been a CBR format rather than a VBR format. And in the case of 720p HDV, the maximum allowed overall video bitrate is only about 19.7 Mbps - low enough for any editing attempts to potentially reduce image quality. (MXV is a form of MPEG-2 compression, but the overall video bitrate in MXF-encoded footage is high enough to minimize the reduction of post-edit image quality.)

However, the typical bitrate of AVCHD Lite clips is less than 10 Mbps; thus, the image quality should not be reduced nearly as badly when transcoded to HDV.

Last edited by Randall Leong; January 20th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #7
New Boot

Neo Scene

After some reading, I've found the best solution would be to purchase Neo Scene to do my AVCHD transcoding. I went on their website and found Neo Scene for $129.00 and Neo HD for $499.00. My question is which one would suit my needs best? Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The $129 version should do everything you need.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If you check the Cineform website you should be able to download a trial version of the software. You might as well try it before buying it.

I tried using Cineform Neoscene with the TS1 AVCHD Lite files (which I believe max at 17 Mbps) and was disappointed by the results. But perhaps you will have a better experience.

VAAST and NewBlueFX make a similar program called AVCHD Upshift that batch converts the files to MPEG (.m2t) files.
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Roy check out Videoguys for Neoscene $99. There's a link on the bottom of the page for them. They are a DVinfo sponsor. At one time they were giving a 5% discount for DVinfo members - I think the code was DVINFO5OFF.
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM   #11
New Boot

Dazed and confused. What to do?

As a newbie, I thought purchasing my Panasonic TS-1 that shoots AVCHD lite would be easy to edit the footage with my super fast self build rig. I never thought I'd have to deal with so much extra work just to edit. When I had my Panansonic GS-250 3CCD DV camera, it was so easy to place in Vegas and just edit. This HD stuff if a whole new language I have to learn. ARRRHHH! Now, to confuse matters even more, I'm getting different opinions on which transcoder to use. Yes for Cinaform, no for Cinaform. You can imagine what I'm going through without knowing too much about HD editing. Is there a website the takes you through step by step on simple HD editing? You know, like:
Step 1.
Step 2.
Step 3.
Or, can someone definitively tell me I can or can't edit AVCHD with the specs on my rig? The specs are posted on the 1st post above. Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Campana View Post
Or, can someone definitively tell me I can or can't edit AVCHD with the specs on my rig? The specs are posted on the 1st post above. Thanks in advance.
I answered your question in the first reply. You can believe me, or you can not.
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM   #13
New Boot

Sorry

Perrone,
On my knees, I'm truely sorry. I simply wanted a second opinion.
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I would follow Perrone's advice. While I don't post a lot, I've been reading here for close to 2 years now and would say that his advice is usually dead on!
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM   #15
New Boot

Good advice

Thanks, Jim
Roy Campana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion