Sony XR520 memory stick recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony XR520 memory stick recording

With the XR520 is it possible to record video to the HD and the memory stick at the same time? That would be a nice feature if you have a large memory stick. I think the transfer from the memory stick would be faster than the HD. Not sure about this...

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No, unfortunately it's one or the other, you CAN transfer video from the HDD to the MS after it's shot IIRC.

How fast a transfer do you need? It's pretty quick either way!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks... just thinking that if the HD messed up I would have a back up.....

Ronnie
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kind of like a RAID array? The technology may improve to support that cost-wise at some point. It's already probably technically not that difficult but would halve the available memory as a salable feature. For it to make sense, the recording media would have to fail enough that people required it as a matter of course.

On my last trip, I did copy selected clips from the internal flash memory chip to the one in the slot in my CX500V. I copied about 10 GB so it did take a while. But it wasn't prohibitive and I felt a little better having a copy out of the cam. Of course, nothing failed so I cleaned the removable chip off later.
Tom Gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It'd be a fairly simple matter of firmware IF there were demand for it, but I don't see the average consumer thinking "redundant media"...

As it is, you can record either video or stills to either of the available media, so it's obviously fairly simple to "direct" the data stream to the desired media, but the existing firmware is "either/or" instead of "both". Both WOULD be cool for peace of mind, but I don't think that media failure rate is high enough to justify it.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion