Pro Res versus Neoscene - Naming clips, etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Pro Res versus Neoscene - Naming clips, etc

Hi All,

About to order a Panasonic HMC150. One concern for me is transcoding. The time element slighly concerns me, but what concerns me more is being able to name clips for FCP.

I have Neoscene for my PC (editing with SV) but the AVI files it creates will not import into a Mac/FCP (only plays audio - no video).

When transcoded to Pro Res will I be stuck with clip#1, clip#2, and so on or can I rename the clips?

I know there's Neoscene for Macs and I was considering that just based on the fact that it makes .mov files that I can rename outside of FCP and then import them in.

Furthermore, does a faster SD (class 6 or 10) decrease the time it takes to transcode or is that all on the Mac processor? Also, is buying one of those USB SD card readers faster than going through a USB cable from the camera itself?

Thanks,

TL
Tim Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not a Mac User-PC only. As far as Neoscene conversion, I use a card reader to transfer my raw files to my computer, then convert from there. Conversion time is much faster. I usually convert to same hard drive that I have transferred files to-- into a subfolder in the same directory. Through the camera, is slower, in my opinion. Oh, be sure to get the newest card readers... their spec are much faster. I bought a Targus at Walmart, and it is much faster than a PC on board reader I have on my Dell XP420
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I only use PC as well, but my Cineform products (Prospect HD, Neo 4K) will convert to either .avi, or mov., or will "rewrap" avi to mov, or vice versa.
I'm thinking if you are going to use the CF codec on your Mac, even if you are importing the files from elsewhere, you will probably need to have the CF product installed for the Mac/FCP to be able to use the files.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion