AVCHD file playback on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD file playback on PC

I have a canon HF-S10 and I can play back all the files continuously in-camera. However, when I download the files to the PC I would also like to be able to play them continuously as well, instead of just clicking on each file individually which opens media player automatically and plays just the one file at a time.

Is there a simple program where I could just highlight a number of files and have them also play continuously ?

This would be very handy for checking downloads from the camera for content & quality and then immediately deleting any that are unsuitable.

Thanks,

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Trustee

VLC Media Player (free) will play all the AVCHD files in any selected folder continuously.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert, I will give it a try.

RonC.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Major Player

I downloaded & tried VLC & after a bit of fiddling - adding to playlists etc. it did try to play the files one after another but not as a continuous stream like it does in-camera.

There is a gap of many seconds with gliches between each file ending and the next one starting. Is this normal or am I not setting something up correctly ?

Thanks,
RonC.
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Trustee

It should just work.
I don't remember ever needing to do any tricky set up routine.
AVCHD is a real challenge to your system's resources. You need to have a fairly recent and powerful computer to do much of anything with AVCHD.
From what you describe, it sounds more like a system problem than a glitch with the VLC player.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #6
Major Player

The coreavc codec can helop with that but it's 12 bucks.
CoreAVC 2.0 (for Windows) | CoreCodec

VLC doesn't actually handle AVCHD all t hat well. It's probably one of the worst. Funny since it handles everything else great.

Try the Mirillis Splash Lite media player if you don't manage to round up a copy of avccore.
Splash - Next Generation Player
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Denny.
I downloaded Splash and it does play the files continuously, but probably due to the computer,- (Core 2 Duo, 2.8g, Vista - 64bit), the playback is jerky, even when I don't use full screen mode. Is there a way within "Splash" where I can drop the res to play smoothly ?

RonC.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lajeunesse View Post
The coreavc codec can helop with that but it's 12 bucks.
That's a very good point.
I forgot to mention it, but I do have Core AVC on board.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #9
New Boot

I get smooth playback in Splash Lite of the AVCHD files recorded by my HF-100 on a slower laptop: C2D 2.0 GHz. The HF-100 only records at a max bit rate of 17 Mbps though, so if you are recording at the max 24Mbps rate of the HF-S10, then those files will require more processing power.

Note also that the hardware acceleration feature in Spash makes a big difference if you have supported hardware. My laptop has the Nvidia 9200M, which is pretty low end as far as discrete video chips go, but hardware acceleration in Splash still reduces my CPU usage by more than half.
Bob Kittleson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion