How to play aic .mov on a windows pc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to play aic .mov on a windows pc

I imported MTS files via iMovie, which automatically transcodes them into Apple Intermediate Codec with a .mov wrapper. Sent the files on a drive to client. Client has Windows PC and cannot open the files. Problem 2: I deleted the original MTS files. Can the .mov files be converted to play on a Windows machine?

Thanks for any help!
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: How to play aic .mov on a windows pc

Found this on Google, can't vouch for the process, but the recommended PC freeware is a very good tool.
Work with Apple’s proprietary MOV on Windows PC KROYCOM – The Invisible Hand of Online Adult Entertainment This is assuming the PC end wants to try converting the files.

(I have absolutely no idea what the "adult entertainment" part of the url refers to, seems to be a straight-forward explanation of using SuperC to convert to m-jpeg files. Possibly approach with caution?)

If you have or can obtain the program "Flip4Mac" you can probably re-export these files from your Mac as .wmv files, which will work on the PC.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; September 3rd, 2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You should also have no trouble converting the files to H.264 MP4-files on the Mac. These will work just fine on a PC as well. WMV is not really suitable for editing by the way, final delivery can be done in WMV - but it's not suitable for further processing. Best bet is to go with H.264 MP4 files :-)
Ruben Kremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

H.264 isn't really a suitable format for editing either ....
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Use MPEG Streamclip to convert the Apple Intermediate Codec .mov files to DNXHD .mov files or standard definition DV .mov files. These are an editable formats playable on most systems. If the client only wants to view the files and you will do the editing, convert to .wmf files, but then edit the original Apple Intermediate Codec .mov files on your system.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric. It seems that to export Hi Def video in WMV I need to buy Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro, which costs $179.
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
Thanks Eric. It seems that to export Hi Def video in WMV I need to buy Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro, which costs $179.
That seems too much for a one-time file conversion. When I had to do this, it was enough to convert the AIC files to standard definition DV50 for viewing and editing on the PC. If converting the files for high definition editing on a PC, I would use Quicktime DNxHD.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric, I will try that.
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Eric, I am not seeing an option to export to DNXHD.mov. How do I get to that export option?
Thanks,
Len
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

EZEncoder will do all that for most all file formats, EZEncoder An awesome ffmpeg based encoder that does it all
Free too... Plus it also helps for the person viewing .mov files on a pc to have Apple Quicktime installed, its free to decode, only costs to encode.
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion