AVCHD drops frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD drops frames

I own a Canon hfs200, I notice when I record it drops about 3 frames when it records longer than 2 gig of information and starts a new file. Anyone else notice this?
Dan Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AVCHD drops frames

I've noticed this on files from a Panasonic TM700. Panasonic's HD Writer software for importing AVCHD files to a PC does not stitch the files together, and it duplicates 4 frames at the start of the next file, although the audio is seamless and the timeline is unbroken.

By contrast, Sony's PMB import software does stitch the files together and does not drop or duplicate any frames.

Seems that every manufacturer has a solution to this problem with varying degress of success.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
I own a Canon hfs200, I notice when I record it drops about 3 frames when it records longer than 2 gig of information and starts a new file. Anyone else notice this?
This was just discussed at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...-problems.html. MTS Joiner seems like a good solution.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Major Player

I have three Canon HF-S200 cameras for recording events at my church.

I use the Device Explorer tool in Vegas (Movie Studio or Pro) for importing the AVCHD footage.
I have never had a problem with importing footage, image or audio.
The individual files on the flash cards do get joined together into one continuous file/take.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Fantastic. I love Vegas and I love this forum. When I click all of them together on the sd card it says 54:46, when I import the movie it says 54:47 total length. There's my missing frames.
Dan Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

What about those of us that don't use Vegas (I'm on a Mac Pro)? :) I've noticed this issue on my Canon M41. I've seen someone say that using the "cat" command to combine the files in a terminal window works. Is this the prefered method for Mac users? Does anyone know if it even works?

Trying to adjust to HD/tapeless editing is a pain in the rear...
Brett Whited is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion