DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Playstation 3 now plays AVCHD "files". (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/89739-playstation-3-now-plays-avchd-files.html)

Jack Zhang March 23rd, 2007 03:56 PM

Playstation 3 now plays AVCHD "files".

Quote:

Other new or revised features in (firmware) version 1.60:
* Video
o Motion JPEG and AVCHD (.m2ts) have been added as playable formats.
Anyone willing to test this new feature?

Kevin Samborn March 24th, 2007 08:35 PM

I tried the Motion JPEG last night and it worked fine, but it was scaled up. The original was from a 320x240 shot on a Canon Optura 30.

I've also tried the a 24p AVC file from a Canon HV20. The file comes from the HV20 forum ("Larry's") which was originally encoded as a Quicktime .mov. I changed it to a .mp4 by doing a Save As from MPEG Streamclip - I think this is the same thing as AVCHD. It looks amazing, but there was a glitch at the end of the recording.

Thu N. Nguyen March 26th, 2007 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 647012)
Anyone willing to test this new feature?

Jack if you can get me instruction how to burn AVCHD DVD from a Mac, I can test this. Sony software comes for Windows only so I'm screwed.

Jack Zhang March 26th, 2007 06:14 AM

I think you re-name the .MTS file on the HDD of your camera after you transfer it to .m2ts. You then put it on a flash drive, memory stick (60GB models only), or data DVD and play it back on a 1.60 PS3.

Of course, when you're creating the data DVD, you're not creating a real AVCHD disc. But I think that's the only way if you have an HDD camera and a Mac.

If you have a DVD camera, just pop the disc it created directly into the PS3.

Thu N. Nguyen March 26th, 2007 10:52 AM

Jack,

I'll try tonight. I did tried to put .MTS on usb flash but I didn't rename to .m2ts.

I'll let you know.

Thu N. Nguyen March 27th, 2007 12:08 PM

Jack,

I copy/rename MTS to .m2ts on a USB flash. PS3 couldn't see it. from some other source tell me that I must also copy the .THM file with it. will try that tonight.

and... I may try to hook the camera directly into PS3, see what happen.

btw,
if someone can show me how AVCHD DVD structure look like, that would be great.

Mark Boreham March 27th, 2007 12:22 PM

I burnt an AVCHD DVD-R a few nights ago and it worked very well. The structure on the DVD-R is:

E:\BDMV\index.bdmv
E:\BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv
E:\BDMV\BACKUP\ <Empty>
E:\BDMV\CLIPINF\00000.clpi
\00001.clpi
\00002.clpi
\...
\00019.clpi
E:\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls
E:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
\00001.m2ts
\00002.m2ts
\...
\00019.m2ts

I found that there was a slight pause between scenes which is a shame but I should think that a firmware update on the PS3 will fix this.

Jack Zhang March 27th, 2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thu N. Nguyen (Post 649534)
Jack,

I copy/rename MTS to .m2ts on a USB flash. PS3 couldn't see it. from some other source tell me that I must also copy the .THM file with it. will try that tonight.

and... I may try to hook the camera directly into PS3, see what happen.

btw,
if someone can show me how AVCHD DVD structure look like, that would be great.

you need to press triangle when you've selected the flash drive in "Video" and select "Display all" to make the file show up.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...hangeview.html

Thu N. Nguyen March 28th, 2007 09:28 AM

Jack,

yes I did that "Display all" and browse to the folder. it didn't show up.

I hooked the camcorder direct to PS3. it showed USB (camcorder) and can play my MPEG2 clips but the MTS still didn't show. Again I also did the display all.

I have a recent firmware 1.32 on my PS3, not the latest though. I'm not sure the AVCHD is in that version or not.

Mark Boreham, thanks for the AVCHD layout. I'll try to burn one disc and see if it can play or not.

Thu N. Nguyen

Jack Zhang March 28th, 2007 05:04 PM

You need to update to 1.60 to enable playback of AVCHD files. There's your problem, you did not update.

Ray Bell March 29th, 2007 04:26 AM

I took some of the footage posted from the Sony V1 (m2t) and put it on a USB memory stick.... put the stick into the PS3 and it played back perfect
so I know it works now... no special file structure, now I'm wondering if
you could put the same on a CD and it would play....

I'll play with that in the next day or so...

Thu N. Nguyen April 2nd, 2007 04:20 PM

Ray,

what firmware do you have on PS3? is it latest 1.60 ?

Ray Bell April 2nd, 2007 08:08 PM

yes its 1.60 on the PS3

Thu N. Nguyen April 12th, 2007 11:00 AM

got mine upgrade to 1.60 last night and it now plays AVCHD fine without rename to .m2ts

Nick Ambrose April 13th, 2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thu N. Nguyen (Post 658944)
got mine upgrade to 1.60 last night and it now plays AVCHD fine without rename to .m2ts

Does anyone know if this works with a quicktime ".mov" file that is H.264? Or if not, how to convert such a file to something the PS3 can play?

thanks,

Nick