DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Sony Vegas AVCHD support: May 01-07 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/92497-sony-vegas-avchd-support-may-01-07-a.html)

Giovanny Canales April 26th, 2007 03:42 PM

Sony Vegas AVCHD support: May 01-07

Finally:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ID=662&CatID=0

Luis Zapata April 26th, 2007 10:49 PM

With the elevated prices of Sony's HD camcorders, Sony Vegas 7.0e professional should be given out in the software package!

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 26th, 2007 10:54 PM

Sony's prices aren't any more elevated than anyone else'.
Can you articulate why you feel a 700.00 software application should be included with a $1200.00 camcorder?

Derek Weiss April 27th, 2007 09:45 AM

Yeeeha!

Thanks for the update!

Dave Blackhurst April 27th, 2007 01:47 PM

Now does anyone know if Sony will be adding support for the 24P from a Canon HV20?

DB>)

Mark Paschke April 27th, 2007 03:29 PM

If you own version 6, do you get a price break? I cant remember but it seems After Sonic Foundry sold Vegas, Sony seems to gouge their beloved customers for upgrades. I might be wrong

David Jimerson April 27th, 2007 04:32 PM

I don't think Sony's upgrade prices are any steeper than Sonic Foundry's were.

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 27th, 2007 04:45 PM

Sony's upgrade pricing structure is less than the Sonic Foundry upgrades were, and that's in today's economy as well as the old.
"Gouging" is a pretty harsh term, especially when it's not accurate.

Mark Paschke April 27th, 2007 05:58 PM

I must have them confused because I thought I remembered Sonic Foundry wanting $99 per version and Sony Slamming me for like $250- $300 for " slightly" differing versions. Corel Draw starting way back @ version 2 would charge $99 for major upgrades with years between versions.

Either way, its not like paying $400 for Cineform only to have them sell it for $99 a couple months later without even blowing us early adopters a kiss.

Dont get me wrong Vegas is a fantastic software, the best in my opinion in its price range, but I bet I have well over a thousand invested and I think I recall a super slam between version 4-5 or 3-4 and it seemed Sony had something to do with it

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 27th, 2007 06:18 PM

Version 3 to Version 4 was the most expensive upgrade I can recall, and that was Sonic Foundry. Sony picked up at Version 4c or d, can't recall.
"slightly differing versions" would be a matter of opinion, can't really debate that, as I'd call 4 to 5 a huge diff, 5 to 6 a fairly good diff, and 6 to 7 a big diff. But if you don't use XDCAM or edit HD, you might find 7 a lesser upgrade. 7 offers a free upgrade for Vegas 7 users that need AVCHD, so that's a pretty fair deal, IMO.

Mark Paschke April 27th, 2007 10:04 PM

I agree the free ACHDV is shockingly sweet ( and what I need more than anything in the last 3 versions, with Cineform) Im not sure 5 -7 was worth anything substantial that I recall since their HD Capture was fairly un needed for Cineform users. I have upgraded from 3 up and remembered a really decent upgrade on one version but nothing worth $250 except the ACHDV in the last couple versions. What was it 7 did that 6 didnt again? I remember I passed and unfortunately the ACHDV doesnt work with 6 or I would be set!

David Jimerson April 28th, 2007 07:39 AM

V6 had some significant upgrades over 5 -- nested projects, Secondary Windows Display, and a lot of other subtleties (such as ungrouped audio/video events turning pink) which make life a lot easier.

There have also been significant upgrades to DVD Architect with each version, and DVDA 4 has added functionality which is worth the upgrade by itself.

But if you don't make a lot of DVDs, it might not be worth it to you.

Mark Paschke April 28th, 2007 11:20 AM

Subtleties explains my position, and at $250 a pop it adds up very quick for the same transitions and filters we were using in version 4 which I was working with HDV in. I kept trying Vegas DVD Architect but never used it because TMPGEs filters and such were just so much better, maybe I should give it another look. Does Vegas support Blue Ray and HD DVD like the cheapo Nero and Ulead which NLE's are HORRIBLE but their discs play flawlessly on BR and HD DVD. If not, they need to get with the program while " gouging" me. I do not recall Sonic Foundrys Vegas costing me $700 but I seem to remember Sonys costing this and with $750 in upgrades I dont think support for all media types is too much to ask. Maybe a new transition or Saturation filter would be nice............Just KIDDING, if I remember right v.5 was the one that had the nice upgrade to color saturations and such but their noise filters are almost a joke when using TMPGE in final burn to DVD

Michael Eskin May 1st, 2007 09:31 AM

OK, its May 1... where's the update? :-)

Guy Bruner May 1st, 2007 10:15 AM

Don't bust a gut. It only works on Sony cams.

Michael Eskin May 1st, 2007 11:15 AM

Guy, you're kidding right? I was expecting to be able to directly import the .MTS file to the timeline...

Derek Weiss May 1st, 2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner (Post 670628)
Don't bust a gut. It only works on Sony cams.

???????? 7e?

Derek Weiss May 1st, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Eskin (Post 670672)
Guy, you're kidding right? I was expecting to be able to directly import the .MTS file to the timeline...

The update is now out. It states "AVCHD for video recorded with Sony cameras."

Michael Eskin May 1st, 2007 02:36 PM

OK, so who will be the first to install it and report back? :-)

Derek Weiss May 1st, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Eskin (Post 670822)

I will. Vegas 7e does not let you import AVCHD files recorded from a Pany SD1.

Well, the slog and burden continues. Should have stuck with standard HDV. I guess the FX1 will be dusted off again.

Michael Eskin May 1st, 2007 02:56 PM

Guess I'm going to have to buy that copy of Cineform after all... Oh well.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 1st, 2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Eskin (Post 670822)

Other than questions about non-Sony AVCHD cams, what would you like to know? Been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now.

Michael Eskin May 1st, 2007 05:19 PM

Douglas, if you already have 7.0d and are happy with the app, is there any particularly compelling reason to upgrade? I'd hate to break a stable setup.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 1st, 2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Eskin (Post 670928)
Douglas, if you already have 7.0d and are happy with the app, is there any particularly compelling reason to upgrade? I'd hate to break a stable setup.

Michael,
There are several additional bug fixed/updates:
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 7.0e

Added support for editing files recorded with Sony AVCHD camcorders.
Added snapping to speaker locations for Film style panning.
Added support for multichannel audio in WMA/WMV files. When you add a 5.1 Windows Media file to a stereo project, the stereo downmix stream is loaded by default; when adding to a 5.1 surround project, audio will be added to separate tracks for the center, front, rear, and LFE channels.
Export to PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) now supports writing to the \VIDEO folder and includes a PSP full-screen template (supported in PSP® firmware 3.30 or higher).
Improved encoding quality in the MainConcept AVC/AAC renderer when using a constant bit rate.
Fixed a visual issue with rotated 2D images being scaled down very small.
Fixed a crash that could occur when using Ctrl+NumPad keys with the Surround Panner if no track had focus.
Fixed an issue with normalizing events that had a very small, silent looped portion.
The My Documents folder is now the default capture location for SDI and HDV captures.
Fixed an issue with rendered XDCAM IMX files to ensure they play back from an XDCAM deck.
Fixed an issue that could cause the wrong frame to be displayed on an external monitor when playing back outside of the active loop region.
Fixed a potential buffer overrun with some ASIO drivers.
Fixed an issue opening some Ogg Vorbis audio files.
Fixed a crash that could occur while trying to recapture offline XDCAM media files during project load.
Fixed a crash that could occur while replacing media with media with fewer audio channels.
Fixed a DV video capture issue that could cause captured NTSC clips to be misidentified as PAL.
Fixed a DV video capture issue that could prevent starting timecode from being detected.
Fixed an issue identifying the Plextor-755 drive for CD audio extraction.

If none of these issues impact you, and you don't have a Sony AVCHD camcorder, there is little reason to upgrade. but I've been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now. No issues on several machines

Mark Paschke May 1st, 2007 09:05 PM

No Blue Ray nor HD DVD support from what I can tell which sort of defeats the purpose, dont you want to watch HD with an HD DVD player? Come on Sony, cheesy ole Nero burns nice little Blue Ray and HD DVDs with menues, get with the program if youre claiming to be worth even messing with HD formats.

What are we supposed to do, shoot and edit HD and then dig out our old 480P DVD players and watch fuzzy, soft, colorless footage?

David Jimerson May 1st, 2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Added support for editing files recorded with Sony AVCHD camcorders.
Does this mean only Sony's AVCHD camcorders?

EDIT: Oops. Missed this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 670876)
Other than questions about non-Sony AVCHD cams, what would you like to know? Been running 7e in various builds for quite a while now.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 1st, 2007 10:26 PM

Sony has only announced support for Sony cameras, and after a discussion with various folks, it's because they haven't extensively tested Panasonic media with it. I'm a bit confused, because I have 2 people in very different locations in the world telling me the footage works, and 1 person telling me it doesn't.
Since I don't have the cam itself...can't comment with any authority. Don't be surprised if support for the Panny shows up. Or not.

[edit] I've just learned that a Sony rep has made a public comment about the Panny camcorders and Vegas support, so if he can comment, so can I. :-)
Vegas will support the Panasonic flavor of AVCHD at a later date.

Mark Paschke May 1st, 2007 10:44 PM

Are you supposed to be able to capture directly from A Sony AVCHD camcorder? I cant seem to get it to show up as a device or a drive via Vegas but can through Nero. Vegas will accept the Nero files and let me edit but Im guessing Sony wants you to use the Sony software that comes with the camcorder for DLing to the Hard Drive and then import.

The video is very glitchy and stutters fairly bad on a duo core with 2 gig of RAM, Is there a recommended video card ( or 2, I have pro SLI dual card motherboard) that make the video smooth? Nero is much more smooth on playback for some odd reason

Derek Weiss May 2nd, 2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Paschke (Post 671135)

The video is very glitchy and stutters fairly bad on a duo core with 2 gig of RAM, Is there a recommended video card ( or 2, I have pro SLI dual card motherboard) that make the video smooth? Nero is much more smooth on playback for some odd reason

I'd be happy if Vegas would atleast let me put the file (Pany AVCHD) on the timeline if only to convert it to something else.

Nero does this for me now, but it crashes frequently.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 2nd, 2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Paschke (Post 671079)
No Blue Ray nor HD DVD support from what I can tell which sort of defeats the purpose, dont you want to watch HD with an HD DVD player? Come on Sony, cheesy ole Nero burns nice little Blue Ray and HD DVDs with menues, get with the program if youre claiming to be worth even messing with HD formats.

What are we supposed to do, shoot and edit HD and then dig out our old 480P DVD players and watch fuzzy, soft, colorless footage?

Mark,
Howsabout we wait a little til things settle out in the formats. Your posts suggest you're a newbie to this world of editing and HD. Having been around for convergence in various formats for several years, all things come when it's time for them to come. If you want to walk the bleeding edge, then you have to deal with either being cut or looking out over that edge. Do you have a BD burner? Likely not. Do you have a BD player? Perhaps. Do you have a screen that will playback HD content in 1080 glory? Probably. You're well ahead of most of the world.
It's not such a big deal if you can burn HD DVD, not many people own HD DVDs and if sales are any indicator, HD DVD isn't going to be much more than an also-ran. I'm confident that Sony Creative Software are looking at all those parameters.
if you like using Nero, that means you have a tool. I don't. Nero isn't stable at all for me. If it is for you, you're a lucky guy.
I'd like to send you a private message, but your profile won't allow for it. Please PM me at your convenience.

David Jimerson May 2nd, 2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 671123)
Sony has only announced support for Sony cameras, and after a discussion with various folks, it's because they haven't extensively tested Panasonic media with it. I'm a bit confused, because I have 2 people in very different locations in the world telling me the footage works, and 1 person telling me it doesn't.
Since I don't have the cam itself...can't comment with any authority. Don't be surprised if support for the Panny shows up. Or not.

[edit] I've just learned that a Sony rep has made a public comment about the Panny camcorders and Vegas support, so if he can comment, so can I. :-)
Vegas will support the Panasonic flavor of AVCHD at a later date.

Yeah, but there's more to life than just Sony and Panasonic. Canon's got its ducks seriously in a row right now and are poised to take off like never before. And while it's early to think about incorporating support for it right at this second, Red looks like it's going to be a serious, serious contender.

The beauty of Vegas (well, one of the most major beauties) was always that it would edit anything, anywhere, any time, and that if it didn't, it would shortly. That has been less and less true over the past few years, IMO.

Mark Paschke May 2nd, 2007 09:25 AM

By newbie Im not sure what you mean, in Vegas? Ive been editing with Vegas since its inception. I have used Canopus, Premier Pro,, lets just say everything but Vivid or Final cut. Ive been editing HDV since the day after the JVC JYHD10u hit the market with Cineform in Vegas 4.0.

I have a dedicated theater with a 15' 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen powered by a Digital Projections Mercury HD. I wont get into the D-Box motion simulators on 12' wide risers since it doesnt pertain to video. I Install Home Theaters in homes and Yachts and shoot extensive Video for all types of events, I have had a crane and dollie for 3 years.

Yes I have demoed all the prosumer HD Cams and was unimpressed until the AVCHD came around, it gets tiring sifting through my 300+ tapes Ive shot and was truly excited about the format for obvious reasons ( direct to post mainly, no long captures)

Blue Ray and HD DVD have been around awhile now and yes I have both with numerous 1080P monitors, the people I shoot for also have the latest greatest. Im not a filmaker by any means but turn away tons of projects because of time restraints and have brought tears of joy to eyes of people I have done productions for. Quite a few people have witnessed my latest "playing around" and showing them the possibilities shot, edited, and shown on Blue Ray via Nero.

Mike Oveson June 8th, 2007 03:02 PM

No offense Mark, but there's really no reason to "show off" to this group. I can't speak for DSE, but from his post I think you are jumping the gun a little bit.

Derek Weiss June 10th, 2007 08:15 AM

A more suitable workflow at present for Pany SD1 users is conversion of AVCHD files in Pinnacle Studio Plus ($100). Not the fastest program, but much better than Nero or Elecard in my opinion. Then you can use those files in Vegas.

It will be nice when Vegas supports Pany AVCHD, then we can just convert to Cineform directly.