Elecard Releases World’s First AVCHD to HDV Converter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Major Player

I downloaded the trial, and got choppy playback in a small window of downloaded M2TS files from Pany and Sony. When I press the Convert button, the program crashes.

Not good!
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #17
New Boot

same here

I just got the Panasonic HDC-SD1 and dowloaded the elecard converter demo to convert some clips for play on my Avel Linkplayer or in Windows Media Player (so I won't have to play from the camera to my TV). They crashed all but one time and the one successful pass created a 4:3 picture with stereo instead of the 16:9 with 5.1 channels that I started with.

If anyone knows the correct settings or program to do what I want I would sure appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Nardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #18
New Boot

I also had the same problem. It didn't crash but I couldn't get a true 16:9. I asked for help but no one answered and it looks like there is very little activity in their forums.
I did try downloading the full ConverterStudio demo and I found that if I set the aspect ratio on the video page to 16:9 I could consistently get a full 16:9 output but the playback was jerky. I had tried to import the video into the Liquid timeline and the result was not nearly as good as what I got from Pinnacle Studio 11!
So, my conclusion is that they're not serious contenders and their support seems to be non-existent. There have been quite a few others reporting the same from around the boards as well. No good news equals a product and company that it out of its league!
Lp
Larry Pollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I've been testing Pana's pro model (Called the HSC1U here) and am just getting into testing all the conversion stuff. Using the Elecard I'm getting quite jittery footage as described by others here - but nothing's crashed yet. Got the mpg into Vegas and exported to a SD DV Avi which looks nice but still jitters on certain movements....Something everyone needs to remember is that AVCHD is pretty new as far as the HD world goes. It's got alot of advantages that just need to be realised by the software developers in order for it to be worth implementing in a serious workflow.
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #20
New Boot

Why would anyone buy this camera then?

I must be missing something - why would I ever want to keep this camera (HDC-SD1) if I can't hear the videos on my home theater, I can't play them in HD on my computer, I can't play them in HD on my media player, and I can't even think about being able to edit them.

Right now, all I can do is play the HD picture to my HD Monitor and listen to the sound coming from the camera.

I need to get out of this mess as cheaply/efficiently as possible. Should I:
buy Nero 7 Ultra to convert the files to mpeg2 HD?
buy a new A/V receiver with HDMI so I can play from the camera?
buy a PS3 to play the raw files from a DVD?
Joseph Nardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #21
Major Player

Don't mess with any software other than Pinnacle Studio Plus to convert your footage. I have used every the others (Nero-Elecard), and Pinnacle works without glitches or errors. It's also cheap, at $99.

Here's my workflow.

Convert AVCHD to MPEG 1900x1080
Then use MPEG file in Vegas to get Cineform AVI.

Until Vegas supports AVCHD from Pany cameras, I will have to continue to edit this way. It works ok, but it's a bit slow. Fortunately, I don't use my SD1 all that much anyway.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I'll get an eval copy of Pinnacle after broadcast live is done with, you'd think that the Elecard business would be spot on considering it was released specifically aimed at AVCHD users finding it difficult to get their footage in a native format? It's definetly a shame that AVC is having so many problems early on as its gonna be a great step into HD for consumers, just hope theres a universal solution that isnt bugged to high heaven asap!
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #23
Major Player

I don't think Pinnacle has an eval option, I may be wrong.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #24
New Boot

no studio 11 evaluation copy available

Hi:
You are correct, there is no pinnacle studio 11 demo available. I am going to go buy a copy now - I assume they sell it at Circuit City - that way I can return the camera and sofware in one trip if the software doesn't work.
Joseph Nardone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion