Pinnacle Studieo AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old May 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Pinnacle Studieo AVCHD

Has anyone tried this software yet?
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
New Boot

Picked it up this morning. Takes a while to install [3 DVD's]. It will edit the files from the SD1 without any transoding prior to the import. Yes. Am I happy with it, almost-kinda-sortof.

First of all the packaging was nice. The contents include a green-screen back drop [At first I thought they had packed a green t-shirt or something in there]. Not that I'm going to use it but it was an unexpected surprise. The total package is 3 DVD's. You don't necessarily need the #2 & #3 to get started. However, the "Ultimate" stuff is on those so go right ahead. Get ready for a few internet activation boxes for some of the plugins and such. Pretty painless all-in-all and they do give you the option to activate from another computer just in case the one your on does not have an internet connection.

Started up the software and had no problems finding my way around. The UI is a little bland for my tastes. This is my first Avid product and I was already prepared for this after looking at screen shots of Liquid & Express Pro. With that out of the way...

Did it work? Yes. Pretty much what you would expect from a consumer grade editor. The output options are limited but probably enough for the average person with the usual AVI, MPEG 1,2&4, WMV and Real options. There doesn't seem to be a MOV output though. One nice feature is that there is an output option for Divx in the avi container. Even though you can make custom presets you can't really tweak a lot of the output options. I haven't had a dive into the effects and transitions as of yet but I will over the next few days. Iniitally, the only negative aspect I can throw at it is the rather plain UI. The workflow made sense and it would probably be a good solution for a lot of families editing home video. Overall, for its target market I would give it a solid 8 [9.5 with a better interface].

It was very nice to be able to cut up the stuff I had already shot without having to transcode it first. Nice job Avid for being the first company to at least give me this option!

I will still keep an eye out for the Vegas and Premier updates as I am little more comfortable with their products. But who knows, maybe this whole Avid thing will grow on me... [hint-hint Adobe and Sony]
Derrick Whitlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the review. I currently use Vegas 7e, but as you know, no support yet for Pany AVCHD. I ordered the Pinnacle software as Nero, Elecard, and Cineform are not working that well for me.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Just got Pinnacle in the mail, and it works fine as an intermediate to get something you can edit with. The render times aren't too bad, and it's cost effective at 100 bucks.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Did you have any problems with audio not playing when previewing projects?
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
Did you have any problems with audio not playing when previewing projects?
No, not yet. I've only used it very briefly. Installed it last night.

For my application (heli cam footage), I have no use for the audio.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion