Please explain AVCHD to mpeg HD conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Please explain AVCHD to mpeg HD conversion

Hi All:
Could someone explain or direct me to a source that explains what exactly I am controlling when I change the settings in Pinnacle Studio 11 for converting an AVCHD file to an mpeg2 file. My intention is to take the 4GB of AVCHD files from the SD card in my HDC-SD1 and convert them to a mpeg file of approximately the same size that I can burn to a regular DVD and play in HD with 5.1 channel sound on my Linkplayer. I used the following settings in Studio 11 Plus: video: mpeg2 HD 720p 10 Mbps & audio: mpeg multichannel 192 kbps. I chose these settings because the maximum bitrates for the Linkplayer to play audio and video from its DVD drive are 10 Mbps and 192 kbps respectively. Using a AVCHD test file of 104 Mb I ended up with a mpeg2 of only 83 Mb so I should be able to increase the quality of the output file somehow - but where should I start making changes?
Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Nardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joseph,

You need to do some research (and experimenting) on MPEG2 encoder settings. As a general rule, you'll need about twice the data rate of MPEG2 to equal the quality of AVCHD.

Good luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion