Avid MC - Overwrite problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old September 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Avid MC - Overwrite problem

When I use the overwrite function with two clips at an edit point, sometimes I have one blank frame that stays. When I try and overwrite the frame, it doesn't allow me.

The only work around I've found is to use the segment mode to move the frame to the end of the sequence but this causes sync issues.

I attached a screenshot of what it looks like in Avid.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Thanks,
-C
Attached Thumbnails
Avid MC - Overwrite problem-avid-frame-overwrite.jpg  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Christopher, could you give us more info? I can't quite figure out what you are doing. And when you mention the segment mode, are you saying that you are moving the empty frame to the end of your sequence? When you overwrite, are you using a three-point edit?
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Christopher,

From what I can tell based on your screen grab it looks like you're in trim mode vs. source/record mode (button to the left of trim.) You cannot perform an overwrite in trim mode. Are you try to do a rolling trim?? Like Jiri said, more info would help us.
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I am trying to get that empty space out of the sequence and have the edit point be exact without going into segment mode and moving it.

Sorry, I meant Trim mode- not overwrite.

So the problem - trim mode stops at exactly one frame of black instead of budding directly against the edit previious or next edit point.
This leaves one second of pesky black which I only know how to move in Segment Mode.

Yeah David, I guess this is a rolling trim.

Hope this helps and thanks!

-C
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Major Player

The obvious thing could be lack of media preceding that point. Have you tried the same operation with a different shot?
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Jiri,

If I try and extend the end of the previous clip and the start of the other clip back and forward, I get the same issue.

I even do a lift and have the same problem. The only work around I've found is Seg mode. It's probably some weird way I edit because this seems to happen to me a lot.

No big deal though. I'll just live with it.
Thanks for your thoughts.

-C
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Christopher,

that's really strange. Does it happen in other projects as well or only with this particular one? If it's only this one, I'd guess some 'invisible' or corrupt media is causing this behavior. If it's in other projects as well than I would think that the application became somehow corrupt. A re-install or upgrade might fix it.

Also, if this behavior persist, you might try to post your question on the Avid board: http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/ There might be others experiencing the same issue.

Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

Jiri
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Major Player

I would extract...

Christopher,

It sounds like that you're out of source media on both clips as Jiri has said.
So there is no media to extend on either clip. The only way is to slide the clip in overwrite mode (red arrow) or do an extract (scissors). Segment mode will push.

For extract: Hightlight tracks to be extracted, place an in mark on the last frame on the left side clip and an out mark on the frame on the right clip. Then hit extract. This will collapse the 2 clips and get rid of your black. make sure yo include your audio tracks for sync.

Hope this helps,
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris, the screencap shows you are in trim mode, with a double roller trim. As David says, you've run out of media in your source material, so there is nothing to 'add' between the two clips. He points out how you can use 'extract' to remove the space, bringing the two clips together and closing the gap. (Using 'lift' will remove a section, but replace that with filler... which would leave you in exactly the same spot you're in now.)

But since you say this is a problem you are having often, it sounds like you are creating a problem in your workflow. I'm curious as to how you add material to your timeline. Do you use source/record monitors? Do you preview the source material, mark it and INSERT or OVERWRITE it to the timeline with a keystroke? Or do you drag and drop material onto a timeline?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Rich,

I insert media into my timeline via source record, set in and oupoint and then hit "V". This problem usually happens when I move clips with the "Lift / Overwrite" button. Once moved, this problem is created. So, atleast I found out what I'm doing to cause this!

I did find another work around though (aside from Seg mode), I hit the match frame button, reselect my source in and out, and overwrite the current media, which does cover the 1 frame gap (reseting one frame to compensate).

Again, thanks all for your thoughts.

-C
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You are taking into account the one frame offset of the timeline marker correct? Ever notice when you zoom in all the way on the time line there is a solid line and a dotted line one frame later? Hitting CTL + Click gets you cleanly to the BEGINNING of a clip, versus CTL + ALT + Click which gets you cleanly to the end.

When similar problems have happened to me, we didnt mark an In/Out cleanly and that 1 frame thats left (zoom in all the way to see) from a "dirty lift" was giving us the problem.
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family