DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/12269-avid-pinnacle-discussions-2004-a.html)

Michael Estepp February 14th, 2004 02:09 PM

New user - AVID Express Pro

I am a student, and just learning avid express pro, and I think it sucks. Im trying to speed a clip up and then through it in reverse. It will let me speed it up in the composer window, but it looses the audio. Then I can't put the reverse on it. This sucks. I would take Vegas any day!

Michael Estepp

John Threat February 14th, 2004 08:34 PM

Yes. it works great for effects work and it also outputs After Effects and Photoshop to the 3d monitor.

So I swear by it at the moment.

John Threat February 14th, 2004 08:42 PM

You will have to apply the effect to the audio track as well.
To apply multiple effects you will have step into to layer or you can hold the alt button down as you drag the effect onto the track for automatic nesting of effects.

Nesting of course is a superior way of adding effects so that you can easily decide which to add or remove or tweak. You can also change the level of the nesting to change the priority of their render on the source material.

Clint Comer February 17th, 2004 01:10 AM

Avid fix

Hey guys and gale got a question for you. After a recent windows update Avid seems not to work with it. Is anyone else having this problem? Has Avid released a fix that anyone knows of? Any work arounds? My school just pulled some machines off the network and uninstalled the last update and runs them that way. But I use it at home and really don't want to have to resort to that. Any input would be great, thanks.

Christopher Go February 17th, 2004 05:12 AM

Which version of Avid are you running? There is a known problem with Windows Update KB824141 and Avid Xpress Pro (not sure if this is applicable to other versions). See if you have this installed on your system, and try to uninstall it if you do.

Glenn Chan February 17th, 2004 05:45 PM

You can roll back your system in XP through start > help and support > system restore.

It doesn't take that long.

John Threat February 17th, 2004 06:06 PM

Just uninstall that FIX and itll work again

Val Daniels February 19th, 2004 01:44 PM

Avid Xpress Pro OMFI files

Is there a setting that would allow for the creation of subdirectories in the OMFI media folder? We currently have multiple projects going on and would like to keep files separate.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ozzie Alfonso February 23rd, 2004 01:23 AM

Avid defaults to the OMFI directory in the drive with the most free space. There is no practical reason for separating the projects in the OMFI directories. Avid does this by way of the project bins. You can always find out and delete or copy the media files from a particular project via the Avid interface. You CAN force Avid to place media files as they are being digitized in particular drives but, as far as I know, not in specific subdirectories.

John Threat February 24th, 2004 01:30 AM

There is a program media mover that helps you do this.

I do it manually by mapping a network drive to a folder so that windows sees the folder as a drive.

Inside of avid go to the console and type alldrives. it will toggle it to be able to see even pseudo-drives as media drives.

Tony Pham February 24th, 2004 11:41 AM

Hi John,

Where is the console that you're talking about? I am trying to go to avid, but didn't know where i can type in "alldrives". Please advice. Thanks.

Tony Pham February 24th, 2004 11:44 AM

Nesting Sequences in Avid Xpress Pro!

Hi everyone,

Please advice on how to nesting sequences in Avid Xpress Pro. I couldn't seem to do that. I want to be able to put sequences inside sequences like in PPRO, or making virtual clips like in Premiere 6.5. Please advice. Thanks.

Ozzie Alfonso February 24th, 2004 12:30 PM

To get to Console: >tools>console -- also Ctrl +6 (or command 6 on a Mac)

That's as far as I can take you since I rarely go that route.

Clint Comer February 25th, 2004 12:36 AM

But isn't this windows update here for a reason? IS there no other way?

Glenn Chan February 25th, 2004 01:17 AM

The updates usually tell you what they're supposed to do. Some of them fix security holes, some fix bugs, etc. You are likely more productive without the update than with it. If you can't run Avid then I don't see you being very productive.