Vegas m2t files won't import into Media Composer??? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Cliff,
Describe your typical workflow as far as audio sweeting goes. What is it you are likely to do with audio, once you have cut a piece together. (DO you wait untill the cut is done, and then work on your audio?)
I typically lay all clips on the timeline and then go in afterwards and do the audio tweaking

In Vegas - I can right click on the audio track and tell Vegas to send a copy of the audio track to the audio editor of my choice. Once in either Sound Forge 9 or Audition 1.5, I can apply the necessary tweaks as needed (Audition's Noise Reduction tool is the best I have ever used), save the file as a wav, and Vegas immediately replaces the original audio track of the clip with the edited updated wav file - very efficient workflow and non-destructive since I can always go back to the original video clip's audio track if needed simply by doing a ctrl+z.

I've tried this methodology with MC3 and my workflow is slowed down dramatically due to both apps I use not supporting AAF or OMF. That means having to render out a wav file which takes substantially longer compared to using Vegas Pro with either app I use - and this is beginning to become a major contributing factor in my decision.

What little I have worked with in MC3 I like, but with the reading I've done on ProTools - I can't seem to find any accurate info regarding how to perform noise reduction. And it also seems kind of a kludge to bounce back and forth between MC3 and ProTools - When VP8 is working right - it's lightening fast when needing to go out to either audio editing app I use.

Anyways - Just sharing my experiences with regards to this whole ordeal.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #32
Trustee

Cliff,

Have you tried using Vegas 7? (You can have 8 and 7 installed on the same machine w/o any problems.)

It sounds like your editing needs can be done in just about any good NLE, but Vegas also has the audio capabilities for your workflow.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #33
Contributor

Hi Cliff - I guess a better question may be what are your primary audio needs

eg - do you need fader control? or is it just noise reduction filtering etc.

A few guys over in the Avid forum are raving about Sonar Cakewalk (I've never used it), but it does support OMF V2 according to the search I did on their website. BTW most professional audio applications support OMF/AAF export/import and broadcast wav files. The fact that Sound Forge and Audition don't should give you a clue. I'd evaluate Avid and see if you can live with it (probably FCP as well) - then you're not "locked" into any format. This is especially important for gettign long form projects mastered externally.

Remember using AudioSuite and the original audioEQ tool you can accomplish a lot within the Avid interface. You may find it does everything you need without going to an external program.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Hi Cliff - I guess a better question may be what are your primary audio needs

eg - do you need fader control? or is it just noise reduction filtering etc.

A few guys over in the Avid forum are raving about Sonar Cakewalk (I've never used it), but it does support OMF V2 according to the search I did on their website. BTW most professional audio applications support OMF/AAF export/import and broadcast wav files. The fact that Sound Forge and Audition don't should give you a clue. I'd evaluate Avid and see if you can live with it (probably FCP as well) - then you're not "locked" into any format. This is especially important for gettign long form projects mastered externally.

Remember using AudioSuite and the original audioEQ tool you can accomplish a lot within the Avid interface. You may find it does everything you need without going to an external program.
John - my primary audio needs have centered around noise reduction capabilities - Adobe Audition's Noise reduction tool is fast and very good at cleaning up audio as needed. Sound Forge isn't quite as good, but it's very efficient at other options I might need from an audio editing app and it DOES support Broadcast Wave files.

I was able to get past a pressing deadline I had on a project and can now give Avid a more accurate test to see if this is the direction I need to go.
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #35
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Out of curiosity, I tried doing scene splitting with HDVSplit to see if there was some sort of truncation of the Long GOP structure of each clip due to the nature of SONY's HDV capture utility. Sure enough, I did a batch scene split of my clips (132 in all), and MC imports every single one of them.

FYI for those who are thinking of Leaving (Las) Vegas Pro 8 for Media Composer.
Just wanted to say thanks for this info.
I obtained a hard drive full of clips dig'ed w/ Vegas. Avid would not import them.
After running them through HDVSplit every one of them imported perfectly.
Rastus Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #36
Major Player

MPEGStreamclip is the easiest I found to fix the problem as I don't have to split or re-compress the footage.

Once loaded after the message about bad data save as Ts file and rename it to m2t and avid loads it fine after that.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family