Avid cuts 20% of workforce. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old October 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Avid cuts 20% of workforce.

Watching as this story develops.

Pro Sound News Europe - Mass redundancies at Avid

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Pure Speculation

In large companies these types of decisions aren't made on a whim. I bet the genesis of this move was months ago when they began restructuring. It doesn't hurt to make this type of move in the midst of an economic downturn, but I don't think the recent economic events are the cause of this. Seems to me that the company is trimming the fat by slimming the workforce and selling off product lines that either aren't profitable or no longer fit into the direction of the company.

My guess is that with the sale of Softimage they're saying, you know what, we're an editing company. We do that well, let's stop trying to be all thing to all producers. If they are sharpening their focus on the NLE market, that could be bad news for everyone else. Sentiment seems to be shifting from Apple and FCP these days and Adobe apears to be the beneficiary of that, but if Avid can get things moving in the right direction again they might be able to capitalize as well.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family