Media composer Soft - what pro audio card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Media composer Soft - what pro audio card?

I am trying to find an audio card with Pro XLR mic input and proper outputs that will work with Media Composer Soft 3.0. A Swedish Avid representative recommended the Mbox2 but when I search the Internet all I find is people with problems.

Will it play nicely with the MC? Any other cards/USB-boxes that works?
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I used the Mbox 1 for a while a few years back and the ASIO drivers from Digidesign had to be installed in order for Avid to see the device. I actually used it to record a quick voice over into Avid "punch in" and it worked. You might look for a used Mbox. I sold it later because it wasn't really being used much.

Cheers.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
I used the Mbox 1 for a while a few years back and the ASIO drivers from Digidesign had to be installed in order for Avid to see the device. I actually used it to record a quick voice over into Avid "punch in" and it worked. You might look for a used Mbox. I sold it later because it wasn't really being used much.

Cheers.
That's good to hear! Can you please help me with a few more answers?
Did you use the M-box for both playback of your edit and recording of V/O? Is the quality signal/noise ratio on a professional level? Did you have any compatability issues?
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4

There's a number of options. Avid recommends Creative Soundblaster audio, but, for my money SB is a consumer product. I've had very good success with Echo soundcards and M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcards. As David said, mbox boxes work well, but, you have to jump thru hoops to get them to work. Here's the process:
1-install MC
2-uninstall Digidesign drivers
3-install mbox2 digidesign drivers

as an alternative process, after uninstalling the digidesign drivers in step 2 above, go to the avid folder on your hardrive. navigate to the "utilities/DigiAudioDriverInstaller" folder. Execute the installer.

Make sure you don't have a webcam installed, else it will fubar your installation. Also, be aware that Protools will not co-exist on the same OS as the latest versions of Media Composer.
edit: oops, just noticed you want to restrict the answer to USB type soundcards... go with the mbox and get the drivers installed.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Bill, thank you for your very interesting post!

It does not have to be a USB soundcard at all. Firewire and PCI is fine.
I have googled the M-audio delta and the Echo soundcards and they both seem like just what I need.

I have a few more questions that I'd be thrilled if you can take a few minutes to answer.

Did you use the delta 1010lt or the one with the breakout box.
Which Echo soundcard have you tried?
What version of media composer did you run the cards with?

The Delta 1010lt is the cheapest solution but I am afraid that an internal PCI-card might be prone to picking up disturbances and noise. Both the audio cards I have tried so far add a high freequency twitter to the audio channel both on playback and recordings.

When selecting a soundcard for Avid Media composer it seems like trial and error is the only way to find out which cards will work and which won't. Is there any other way to know? Does Asio 2 compatibility guarantee that it will work??
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Back again. I have now found confirmation that the M audio Delta 1010lt will work with MC. However the Echo Gina 3G is currently my top choice. I have however not been able to find anybody that uses it with MC.

Was this the card you used Bill? If so - did you also use the Mic input with the audio punch in tool. This is very important to me.

Did you have any problems at all with the Echo card you used?

Thanks!

/ola
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Bill, thank you for your very interesting post!

It does not have to be a USB soundcard at all. Firewire and PCI is fine.
I have googled the M-audio delta and the Echo soundcards and they both seem like just what I need.

I have a few more questions that I'd be thrilled if you can take a few minutes to answer.

Did you use the delta 1010lt or the one with the breakout box.
Which Echo soundcard have you tried?
What version of media composer did you run the cards with?

The Delta 1010lt is the cheapest solution but I am afraid that an internal PCI-card might be prone to picking up disturbances and noise. Both the audio cards I have tried so far add a high freequency twitter to the audio channel both on playback and recordings.

When selecting a soundcard for Avid Media composer it seems like trial and error is the only way to find out which cards will work and which won't. Is there any other way to know? Does Asio 2 compatibility guarantee that it will work??
Hi Ola...

I have the M-audio Delta 1010lt.
I also have the Echo Mona, which I love, dearly, but isn't in production anymore.

My s/n ratio runs about -100 to -90dBFS. Pretty happy with both these solutions. The Mona is a little easier to use because it has a rack mounted breakout box. Honestly, the breakout box makes a huge difference in ease of use.

I run Media Composer v3.0.5. I think, Avid and audio cards are pretty much an either go or no go proposition. There's a lot of things that can mess with the audio implementation, but, it's generally not a problem with the audio card. The Ilok and PACE licensing schemes are problemattic, but, it's usually not the audio card. I've been very happy with the Echo Mona I use.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Bill! Can you confirm that the audio punch in tool works with both these cards?
No RF-noise or other problems with the Delta?
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #9

yes, I can confirm that the audio tool works well. Also the noise level is consistent with other apps.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Major Player

I've ordered an Echo Gina 3D. I'll let you know how it works out!
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Problems with Mbox 2!!!

I could not get hold av an Echo-card so today I finally settled with an Mbox 2 mini anyway.
And just as I suspected I ran into problems. I've got the Mbox 2 installed and everything looks good in the device manager BUT Avid tells me "no audio card installed".
I did what you told me Bill - uninstalled first and the reinstalled driver 7.4 but no luck.

Can anybody help me?!
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Did you install the DigiAudioDrivers in the ProgramFiles/Avid/Utilities folder???
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parks View Post
Did you install the DigiAudioDrivers in the ProgramFiles/Avid/Utilities folder???
Yes I did. I have also tried installing the 7.4 drivers from the Digidesign site and also tried installing the complete Pro tools 7.4 LE software. No success. Have you got the Mbox 2 working with the Media Composer? If so - can you please tell me about your configuration.

Today I also contacted Digidesign support to get help but I got the following response:

"I have discussed this issue with my colleagues and they agree with me that while Avid Media Composer 3.0 is qualified for co-installation on the same computer with Pro Tools LE 7.4 for Windows XP with any Mbox 2 Family audio interface, Mbox 2 Mini is not supported as an audio interface in Avid Media Composer 3.0.

You can record the voiceover with the Mbox 2 Mini and Pro Tools LE software. Do you use Avid video hardware? With the appropriate hardware and software, it is possible to work with Avid or QuickTime video in Pro Tools LE and exchange OMF and AAF files with Avid Media Composer."
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #14

Funny thing about the mbox2 install in win xp pro. The device manager will not show that you have installed. The only place you will see it is in the "sound, video, game controllers/audio codecs listing". In fact, DO NOT select this device in the "audio devices" list.

What version of media composer are you running? The only approved co-installed versions are Protools v7.4 and Media Composer v3.0.5
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Funny thing about the mbox2 install in win xp pro. The device manager will not show that you have installed. The only place you will see it is in the "sound, video, game controllers/audio codecs listing". In fact, DO NOT select this device in the "audio devices" list.

What version of media composer are you running? The only approved co-installed versions are Protools v7.4 and Media Composer v3.0.5

Oh - I actually see two devices in the device manager. Mbox2 audio device and Mbox2 midi device.

I am running MC 3.0 and have not got Pro tools installed. Only the Mbox2 driver ver. 7.4.
I have sort of given up now, after trying everything I can think of on two different systems but if you have any advice. Don't hesitate to share... :-(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family