Working with After Effects and Media Composer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old February 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Working with After Effects and Media Composer

Hi everyone,

Still new to editing on Media Composer, and had a question regarding working in other programs such as After Effects.

I usually capture from my DV Cam directly into Media Composer under MXF411 compression.

When using After Effects for the clips in my film that I specifically want to make effects with, what is the best "workflow" (I think that's the correct word) for working with the clips I've captured from Avid?

Here are my following questions:

Once I've captured my footage from Media Composer, do I export from Avid into a specific compression/codec so I can work with it in After Effects?

Then, once I'm finished working with the clips in After Effects...when I want to export from After Effects back into Avid to continue editing, what compression/codec do I export it as?

Thank you very much for your help.
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Major Player

It is very easy. Export from Avid using Quicktime reference. Open the reference file in AFX.

Then make your AFX render in QT using an Avid codec like Avid DV, DV 100 or even go 1:1 MXF.

Sorry so brief. Gotta run out here. Gotta hot date.
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I hope that date goes well. You deserve it! Thank you for the quick response, David!
Kareem Dimashkie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family