Multiple Processor Rendering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old April 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Tourist

Multiple Processor Rendering

Does anyone know how the different versions of Avid handle rendering across multiple processors? Curious if it is better to have a slower Quad Core, or a faster Dual core when it comes to rendering. I've tried to look for an answer all over the place but can't seem to get a real answer.

Any insight would be appropriated.

Thanks!
Paul Buchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would definitely recommend a quad core for Media Composer 3.0 and above.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #3

It really depends on which codec you're exporting to. Some codecs are multi-threaded, others are not.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
It really depends on which codec you're exporting to. Some codecs are multi-threaded, others are not.
What about internally to AVID, before export? Same thing, based on what codec?
Paul Buchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #5

As far as I know, Media Composer on a 32 bit platform is not multi-threaded. In other words, internal processing would not be much different on windows XP pro whether quad core or not. I understand that there are some processes that are multi-threaded, such as the 10-bit color correction module, but, that's about it.

According to Avid rep's, they will be going to multi-threaded processing when they go fully to 64-bit engines.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Bill is right in that some functions can be written as multi threaded, while others are not. For instance, Quick Time itself is single threaded. I understood that the MC 3.x series had greater multithread functionality, so I typically watch the MS performance monitor for anything that takes any noticeable time. I can report that transcoding HDV to DNxHD145 uses all eight of my cores to about 80% each, drastically reducing workflow time. Other aspects of avid that are instantaneous may be single threaded or multithreaded, but I don’t care if I don’t have to wait.

Unfortunately for me, Sorenson 5.04 seems to be single threaded when producing mpeg-2 output from QT reference files of the DNxHD145 media.

I recommend Intel Core 7 quad processors (920 is a bargain) for any new computer. This CPU will overclock itself if it finds some of the cores are unused.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family