Exporting an HD sequence in and SD world at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old May 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting an HD sequence in and SD world

Hey everyone, I've got an HD sequence that I need to export. The problem is my edit suite at work (Avid Media Composer Adrenaline 3.1) is only set up for an SD workflow since it's mainly used for news editing. I can't even tell you in detail what I've done(so much stuff!) because I've been trying for a week to get it off the system and onto my 750GB external hard drive. I need to burn this onto a DVD for a client ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl Murphy
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

One typical method is to export from avid as a quick Time Reference. This is a small “pointer” file that references the original Avid media on your hard drive. Next, using Sorenson Squeeze (or Procoder or others) you import the QT ref file and create a standard def mpg file that can be authored to a DVD.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Terry, I did try to do this but it gave me a message about long GOP files and it wouldn't let me export using this method. Is there some other way of using a quicktime reference? I selected my sequence, chose export and tried quicktime reference but got this error message.
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Long GOP error

Hi Darryl,

To avoid the error do a video mixdown before export. That should do it. Also, read this thread and watch the tutorial video.

Avid for Liquid Users: Lesson 7 - Long GOP problem /HDV to a QT-reference file - Avid Community

Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Cerar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Darryl,
You and Jeff are correct, HDV will not export as a QT reference, and a video mixdown will transcode the final sequence to fix the problem. I personally like to ingest raw HDV media and immediately transcode to DNxHD145, and then edit with HD145 media. This takes less CPU, but much more hard disk space, and is ready for QT Ref export.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for your help. I'll try all your suggestions ASAP!

Darryl
Darryl Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family