Avid Xpress Studio - should I get it? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old December 9th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #31
Major Player

that's a very good idea. I thank you for your support in this. I will try the FX1, I have a HDTV so I can test it on there, and then also see what the product looks like on my SD set as well.

I'll be doing more research on the cineform now that I've heard about it so much. I'm just still partial to the Avid system. Even though they wont be able to support HDV until mid 2005, it still is used by the pros. That's what Robert Rodriguez did in "Once upon a time in mexico". He used his Avid machines and Pro Tools. Although he had his machines that were fully made by Avid too, but I can live with not having the exclusive equipment.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:53 AM   #32
Regular Crew

While Xpress Studio is pretty neat for it's price, there are many solutions that offer alot more bang for the buck.
It's ideal for those wishing to become professional editors though as it allows new talent to learn the interface (and it's obvious this interface aint goin anywhere for a long time). If wanting to freelance or to increase one's marketability as an editor, it's something that almost has to be done.
I'm sure Xpress Pro is good for Avid houses in need of some quick offlining too but these two are the only reasons I can think of to go with it.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #33
Major Player

Question RE : DVCPRO HD and Avid XpressPro HD

This is probably basic for most of you, but let's say that I have acquired DVCPRO HD onto my hard drive and am processing with Xpress Pro HD. In what form would I output the final product to a HDTV, via either DVI, HDMI or component TV inputs ?
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #34
Major Player

Not sure. I only work in SD.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #35
New Boot

Mark,

You can perform a digital cut directly to a DVCPRO HD deck. No muss, no fuss.

You can also export a stream to an HDV deck, or you can transcode using the very nice DNxHD codec to a HDCAM deck.

Very interesting to see where this post started and what all has happened in the passage of time. Avid's Studio package is very powerful and versatile, especially now with support for all the HD camera and formats.

Regards,

Joe Womble
Joe Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #36
Major Player

Thanks, Joe. I often feel like a real beginner, especially in this group. Best wishes, Mark
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #37
Major Player

More on DVCPRO HD to HDTV

After looking at the prices for DVCPRO HD and HDCAM VTRs, it seems to me that for non-pro users like myself, the best option might be to acquire the DVCPRO HD on a HVX-200, edit it with Avid Xpress, them put it back out through the same or a second HVX-200 to the HDTV using the D4 component output on the camcorder. Comments ?
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family