New install monitor calibration problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Trustee

New install monitor calibration problem

Hi all,

Just built a new core i7 920 system for Xpress Pro. I've got it all going fine for editing, except that the default settings for my video card seem to produce too bright and low contrast video in the composer monitor. I've never seen such a bad default setting. I'm having trouble figuring out if I should be changing this with the monitor settings, or with the nvidia driver settings.

When I adjust, I can end up with pretty good looking video in the composer, but at the expense of the rest of Windows, where the contrast it too high. Trying to adjust just the video color settings in the nvidia control panel seems to do nothing.

I know this is not a qualified system, but still! Is there a trick or a proper way to get this going correctly? On my old system, out of the box the colors were almost right and took a minor tweak. This one is WAY off.

Windows XP SP3. Core i7 920, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, PNY Quadro FX 1800, 6 Gigs ram (dual boot with Win 7 64 bit). Dell U2410 Monitor.

My other issue is audio volume. Seems plenty loud in Windows for media player or whatever, but can't get enough volume in Xpress Pro unless I check "use Windows mixer" in the Sound Card Settings, which I prefer not to do. Even then I would like it louder at times, but can't get it very high.

Using the onboard sound (Realtech chip, which apparently caused problems in earlier Xpress versions, but works in 5.8.4.)

Thanks for any hints.
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I had a similar problem years ago. The composer monitor had a red hue to the footage. My NTSC monitor was set up perfectly but they didnt match. I talked to avid tech support and they had me confirm my nvidea drivers were on their "spec" list. They weren't. Once I installed an updated drive that was approved by Avid the problem went away.

Not saying this is your issue, but I would check the driver for your card, against the driver version Avid specs.
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Mike.

I wondered about the drivers as well. My problem is that Xpress Pro is discontinued, and the Quadro FX 1800 didn't even exist when they qualified the drivers for Xpress. I suppose I could try the old drivers and see what happens.

Gotta upgrade to Media Composer...I wish they would qualify it for Win 7.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family