Capture in DNxHD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Capture in DNxHD?

I am trying to decide between a nanoFlash or Aja Xena for recording greenscreen. If I go with the Xena, I don't want to record uncompressed so I was wondering about DNxHD. FYI, I am using a PC (Z800) and edit in Premiere & AE CS4.

Also, does anyone know if TMPGEnc supports DNxHD as a source?

Are there problems editing and encoding DNxHD in Premiere or AE?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Trustee

I can only answer one of these ?'s. TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 works very well with DNxHD.

Good luck w/ everything else :).
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've used DNxHD in Premiere. It works, but not as well as it does in Avid.

The last time I tried, the DNxHD clips looked as if they were under-exposed. Played the clips in quicktime - fine, no problems. Only in Premiere do they become dark. Strange. Didn't have time to fix the problem with the decoder. Transcoded to another format and continued editing.

I know that DNxHD is free to use, but if you're gonna be using Premiere, consider using CineForm. AFAIK it is made to be used with Premiere.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Contributor

DnxHD is an Avid editing codec. Neither the Nano or the Xena records in DnxHD. The lack of a true portable recording solution for DnxHD is a missing link in the Avid range.

Premiere in it's latest iteration (CS5) should provide support for the Sony MXF format the Nano records in, otherwise there are third party solutions for older versions.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family