Importing MTS files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Importing MTS files

I need to be able to bring in .mts files from a Canon Vixia AVCHD camera.

I've tried a number of conversion programs, but MPEGstreamclip fails to recognize the .mts files for conversion (even though the docs say it should), and the few times I've been able to get clips converted to an MPEG2 format with a different program, AVID says that type of MPEG is not supported for import.

Anyone have a convertor that works well for .mts to AVID?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Try TMPGEnc Xpress Pro . You need to convert to a DNXHD Avid codec. Or get/upgrade MC v.5.
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

David:

I did try TMPGEnc today. It works very well, except that it takes an 11-second 30MB AVCHD clip and turns it into a 300MB+ monster at DNxHD145.

But it looks really good in an HD sequence. I tried an MP4 conversion to see if it would be smaller...and it was over 330mb. I did also try an AVID DV transcode (since the project I envision using the Vixia clips for will be standard def DVD). That logged in at a paltry 41mb, and looks pretty good...just not quite as good as the DNxHD.

I also had some luck last night with the Pavtube conversion program. They have a bunch of QT flavors from regular QT to mp4 to HD versions. They all seem indistiguishable, quality wise...but actually reduced the size of the clip.

Either way, I now have some confidence that I can deal with the Vixia video if I have to.

I need to upgrade at some point, but I'm running an HP xw8200 32-bit machine with an nVidia card that is starting to choke since I upgraded from AVID XpressproHD to MC 3.5. The 8200 is not supported in any configuration by AVID for 64-bit operating systems, so I think I'd have to do some serious hardware investment first.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family