avid xpress dv 3.5 and what hardware? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old November 20th, 2002, 09:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

To dual boot, you need to partician your hard drive. One side has the operating system for your avid setup, the other has the operating system for your premiere setup. When you boot up the computer, you choose which drive, (which partician) to boot from.

Never done it myself, but there are plenty people who do.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:23 AM   #17
Inner Circle

One more thing. You are going to need AT LEAST two hard drives on your system. One for the OS (this is the one you partician for dual boot) and the other for your media files. I actually reccomend two for media files. In avid you have the option to split your audio and video between drives when you capture. This makes it much smoother, and avoids the dreaded underun issues.

I use two 120 gig for media storage. I would like more. Can you ever have too much storage space?

(ask my wife)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi,

Here is a review of a pretty good motherboard. This is the same unit that Laird sells.

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1206_2.html

Start to making a list of parts that you will need and get their costs together. Then decide about DVline, Ocean Systems, Larid or one of the other systems guys recommend.

A good system should consist of a system drive, a large (120gig) hard drive (or two).

About the dual boot thing....you don't need anything special or extra in the hardward area. You just need to "partition" your system drive and have your two operating systems. Or I believe that you can install XP two times on your "0" drive. Someone else here will have to support you with that question. You might have to use Windows 2000 Pro (SP-3) as your second operating system.

Now, there is a specific way to partition. Windows XP tells you how, but not really the best way. When you get to that point then ask us how and it will be explained.

Just keep in mind that if you set this computer up yourself, be very careful with the parts and always (as mentioned) use a ground strap on your wrist. And.....this isn't as easy as some guys say. For a new guy putting togethe a system it is frustrating. There could be a lot of tweeking to do.

Let us know how it is going.

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Adi,

Here is a link to the tech specs for the WD1200JB

http://www.westerndigital.com/produc...asp?DriveID=27

If you want to talk to someone that knows the Laird System call Carl at Laird and tell him my name. Tell him what you want and see if he will give you some good prices. I bet he will if you mention me to him. I told him your name.

Carl will talk to you and give you some good advice and good prices. He won't try and sell you a Larid System, he is a good guy. I don't think that you can put together a system for the cost of a turnkey system. Plus you have tech support and service. Avid doesn't like to support anything that is not on their list.

Also, Vin Bruno is the Vice President and he is a good guy.

If you decide on a Laird System I don't make any money on it. I just like their service and support. I'm not pushing Laird.

The reason I like Laird is because they fixed my problem I had with them and they went beyond the call of duty to do it. That is service!

And in respect to burn it. Laird will burn in. They will import and export video. The computer will work right out of the box. No problems. Or if there is something you don't understand you can call Carl and he will fix it.

Enough about Laird. The other turnkeys are about the same.

I'm new to this game like you are. I was going to build by own. But Laird explained their policy to me and I couldn't resist.

Good luck

Bob

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #20
Rextilleon

What you want to do is partition your application drive--have Avid sit on one partition and Premiere, Vegas etc on the other----I used Partition Magic to do mine and it really works well. Now Dr. Dropout (one of the chief developers) believes that with 3.5 you shouldn't have these issues---but since you are a newbie I would generally follow this tried an tested technique---Beyond that, I can recommend a fantastic builder---PCNirvana--contact Earle Foote the guy is just a remarkable NLE builder and the support the company gives you is just fantastic.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family