LCD Monitors for Avid Work Station at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD Monitors for Avid Work Station

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for some advice setting up a pair of new LCD monitors for my Avid work station at the office. Our engineer is asking me how I want them hooked up...HDMI, DVI or VGA. Admittedly, I'm not an all knowing in matters such as these, so I'm going to where the experts are (here).

Currently, all of our work flow is Standard Definition.

The monitors are ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD
Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

Edit Station specs:
Avid Media Composer 3.1.3
HP xw8200
Dual Intel Xeon 3.40 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
Avid Mojo SDI

Thanks,
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: LCD Monitors for Avid Work Station

Hello Dan,

I have twin 24" LCD monitors with both HDMI and DVI, like the Asus monitors you have. My Avid PC is connected to the monitors by DVI. Those are the connectors on my video card.

But there is a second advantage to not using the HDMI as the primary connector. When I capture tape, the camera I use as a deck is connected to the HDMI of the second monitor. So I have the usual Avid capture preview, and a full screen HDTV preview of the output directly from the camera during the capture process without having to purchase a third party preview device. Of course, I only have that preview capability during capture.

But you might already have preview options.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; April 18th, 2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family