Editing Software -- Avid or MediaStudio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Editing Software -- Avid or MediaStudio

Greetings!

I just installed my firewire iLink cable and my video is capturing to the computer just fine.

Now, which software should I purchase to edit my HDV?

I'm demoing Ulead's MedieStudio Pro 8, but see that Avid Liquid is also highly recommended.

Your help is most appreciated!

Tim
Tim Anstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Sony Vegas. very easy to learn, powerful software. edit superfast with vegas. Thats right....Sony Vegas. </sales pitch>

Seriously, I've used vegas for the past three years, and its great.
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Vegas................is there an echo in here?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Vegas................is there an echo in here?
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

What is your primary interest in productions? Short films? Wedding/event? Documentaries? Music Videos?

Every NLE has it's strength and weaknesses. If you want a more objective assesment of your needs, it would help to let us know what your goals are.

I edit on AVID because I need the ability to cut and conform FILM, also to transfer my video projects seamlessly to finishing suites. I also cut a lot of long form documentary work, for which Avid's media management is unsurpassed. But none of this might be of use to you.

So help us out here, or you'll just get. "Cut what I cut on, IT'S GREAT!"
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

I will mainly use this for home use, but do want to edit, splice, add music, etc...

I read that Son't Vegas requires several add-ons, but maybe this isn't true.

Thanks again!
Tim Anstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Tim,

You'll need to list your system specs as well, as some NLE's have different requirements from others.

What's your processor? Motherboard? Drive configuration? Graphics card? Soundcard? Etc.

The more you list, the better the chance of finding a compatible fit.

From your description of interests, I'm thinking Avid is a bit of overkill.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #8
New Boot

I've been using MediaStudio Pro for about 6 years now, and I love it as an editor. I'm still on version 7, so if the items I've listed below have been corrected in version 8, let me know. I really like MSP's editing toolset, and the work-flow makes sense to me. There are however, a few drawbacks to the system that would drive most people nuts.

1) I've never been completely satisfied with the color correction tools in MediaStudio Pro. I think most other NLE's have a much more powerful color-correction capabilities.

2) Audio filters cut off at the end of clips. For example, lets say you wanted to add reverb on to a clip. That's easy enough to do, however the echo will abruptly cutoff at the end of the clip instead of decaying naturally. This can be pretty annoying.

3) You can't loop an audio clip while you tweak the parameters of an audio filter. You have to tweak the settings, and then hit the preview button. Its a few extra mouse clicks that I usually don't feel like dealing with.

As a result of some of the quirks in MediaStudio Pro's audio toolset (items #2 and #3 above), I usually end up tweaking my audio (EQ, track compressors, etc.) in another application, such as Sony's ACID. For me, this works because I write my own soundtracks so I would end up bringing the movie into ACID anyway. For others, this wouldn't make sense. Its extra time, aggravation, and $$$ for another application.

Since you have the demo, you may want to take some time to play around to see if the items above will cause major headaches for you. If you can live with the drawbacks, and you're happy with the editting toolset, then MediaStudio Pro might be the right NLE for you.

By the way, if they're enabled in the demo, play with some of the "smart" functions. There's some cool little toys in there that are, as far as I know, unique to MediaStudio Pro.

Good luck!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anstine
Greetings!

I just installed my firewire iLink cable and my video is capturing to the computer just fine.

Now, which software should I purchase to edit my HDV?

I'm demoing Ulead's MedieStudio Pro 8, but see that Avid Liquid is also highly recommended.

Your help is most appreciated!

Tim
About a month ago I went from Ulead's MediaStudio Pro 8 to Sony Vegas. Editing in Vegas is infinitely better than MSP8 and unmeasurably better than MSP7. There are a ton of time-savers in Vegas.

One of my biggest problems was to learn to stop trying to do things the hard way and learn how to do them the easy way.

Editing is now fun to do. I can't recommend Sony Vegas enough. I am so glad I switched.

Note: Vegas is not perfect though. Yes, I had a few minor issues but some were actually me, some were simply learning to do things differently and some were Vegas itself. Still, there are a lot more positives than negatives.

Do yourself a favor and download the trial version and give it a work-out.

Add my echo to Vegas!!!

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My Prediction

If you like Ulead's interface and feel-- you probably will have difficulty with the Vegas interface. Try trials or Vegas Movie Studio +DVD Platinum ($100)first, before commiting big bucks.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
If you like Ulead's interface and feel-- you probably will have difficulty with the Vegas interface. Try trials or Vegas Movie Studio +DVD Platinum ($100)first, before commiting big bucks.
I thought I would have difficulty and I did have a little bit for sure but I had much less difficulty than I ever thought I would.

As for me, I do have a learning disability (I am on SSI disability) in that it is very difficult for me to learn new things. So I was really concerned about going from MSP8 to Vegas. Yet, Vegas is so easy to learn that even I was able to do it. I did full projects with Vegas two days after I got it. That's how easy it is to learn.

I have a lot more to learn yet especially when it comes to doing real fancy editing but so far with each thing I learn I am amazed at how easy most of it is. Naturally there are certain things that will take more effort but with all the free tutorials and other helpful information out there I don't think that will be much of a problem.

Right now I am getting used to the short-cuts that make things easier. Once I get solid on the basics the intermediate and advanced stuff will fall in place.

I figure that if I, a person who has difficulty in learning new things can learn Vegas so fast that anyone out there can.

I wouldn't go with the lesser versions. I think it is much better to go with the full version and get all of the important features especially the ability to use scripts to help automate things.

So with that, I am off to edit another project.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family