mother boards & xpress dv - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 20th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #16
Major Player

thanks for your help mike. i'll look into it. guess it's back to the drawing board. it never ends. i'm anxious to just go out and buy, but after spending most of what i've saved up on a new pd150, i really can't afford to find out i bought a useless, or not good enough, piece of hardware.

quiet so far, in my neighborhood.

thanks again,

adi
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #17
Wrangler

Good luck.

When the AVID software was first introduced, BTW, there was a very restricted set of hardware that was approved. I assume you've checked their web site for approved hardware.

http://support01.avid.com/support/AvidMain.nsf/QualificationR3?ReadForm is the location of AVID's Express DV information on this.
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM   #18
Major Player

yeah i read their list of approved hardware. but i'm not sure i'll go exactly according to what they suggest and rely on forums for support. from what i've heard, their support isn't always that hot anyway.

regarding the usb external box you suggested, i did some research and found the SOUNBLASTER EXTIGY to be a nice card for me, but then on a message board got the following post:

< < < The biggest problem with them (external sound cards) is that they're given a lower priority than the PCI ports inside the computer, meaning there can be a delay in sound processing or, sometimes, breaks and hiccups in the sound playback. > > >

what do you think?
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:53 PM   #19
Major Player

I still vote for a PCI card UNLESS you are going to capture audio from your sound card, a DV capture does not occur through the sound card, so unless you are capturing through the card or mixing out from the card then I would stick with PCI card.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family