Avid and JVC HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Avid and JVC HD

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any information on this, is the JVC ProHD 251E Camcorder and the JVC VTR BR-HD50 compatible with the editing suite I own Avid Adrenaline HD?

I don’t think that there should be any problems, but if there is any is there like any upgrading software?

Thanks

Hamad
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, there are huge problems with Avid support for HDV1/ProHD at 24fps or 25fps on Xpress Pro, Media Composer (soft or Adrenaline) and Symphony Nitris: there is no support whatsoever!!! 30fps support is weak. So this probably affects you. Run a search and you'll see all the horrific details. The short version to this sorry story is that Avid have been promising since September last year and keep failing to deliver.

Avid Liquid is the exception and it supports HDV1 just fine. You also have some options with DS.

As things stand, the HD250 is not a good companion to your edit kit.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

My workaround for Avid Xpress Pro is to shoot with the DR-HD100 and take the native .m2t files into MPEG STREAMCLIP and convert them to DNxHD. Once in that format, Avid works great.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #4
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
My workaround for Avid Xpress Pro is to shoot with the DR-HD100 and take the native .m2t files into MPEG STREAMCLIP and convert them to DNxHD. Once in that format, Avid works great.
I've also used the DR-HD100 HDD recorder to shoot footage on a GY-HD100, and then imported the .m2t files directly into Xpress Pro HD, and it worked fine. I imported using both the DNxHD and the DVCPro HD CODECS. I did not have to use MPEG Streamclip in my case.
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
I've also used the DR-HD100 HDD recorder to shoot footage on a GY-HD100, and then imported the .m2t files directly into Xpress Pro HD, and it worked fine. I imported using both the DNxHD and the DVCPro HD CODECS. I did not have to use MPEG Streamclip in my case.
I am referring to 720/24P. Avid has no direct import support to my knowledge.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, it's the 24 and 25fps support that's the problem and that covers a big chunck of the world outside North America by default and anyone in North America and the rest of the NTSC world who want/need to work in 24p. Since 720p/30 and 720p/25 are very rare standards for broadcast, 720p/24 would seem to be the most useful feature of the 100/110. When the worlds' most established NLE doesn't support it after 18 months of promises one wonders what is going on.

Carl, how is the relationship between JVC and Avid - particularly in Europe?
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for everyone who got back...

So, there's no solution to the problem? But it doesn't make sense our Avid HD system is one of the latest and most up-to-date HD editing suites and when we purchased it, the resellers promised that it supports anything and everything HD or HDV. So, there must be a way around this problem right?
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

C'mon guys...give Avid some credit.

What About Avid Xpress Pro HD version 5.1.2? I think they got that all patched up in that version.
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Doesn't make sense... I've got what's higher than the Avid Xpress Pro!
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad Abdulla
Doesn't make sense... I've got what's higher than the Avid Xpress Pro!
Thats all well and good...but do you have ...Pro HD? It's a pretty big difference.
Old November 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Is there any out? Any possible converters?
Old November 5th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Major Player

No, Xpress Pro HD does NOT offer anything extra over MC. It certainly does not support all HD formats including some DVCPro HD variants. No Avid product except the recently acquired Liquid offers native support for HDV1 at 24 or 25fps. Don't believe the Avid hype, guys.

If you have Adrenaline, the best solution is to buy a HDV-HDSDI converter and capture a baseband HD-SDI signal as DNx as cross-converted 1080i, which would effectively be 1080PsF, of course. You can capture into 1080p or i Avid projects. I would suggest the Convergent Design HD Connect LE. Check out the Convergent homepage. If you have the HD 250 then you already have baseband HDSDI but Avid still cannot work at 720p/25 or 50 in any codec. Native HDV1 support from Avid will come at some point across the range - all the way from Xpress Pro to Symphony Nitris. We were promised it last autumn, then it was 'wait for NAB2006' then the official line became 'Q4 2006' and now I have been told by Avid themselves that it may drift into next year. I'm not making that up, it's not speculation - I was told that by Avid officially.

If you're dependent on Avid systems and you need to start shooting now, JVC's camera gear is not the ideal solution. If you can wait, fine, but otherwise I'd go for XDCAM HD.
Old November 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Trustee

If you are going with the HD-250 you can use Liquid Chrome HD which is designed to work with it's m2t datastream and HD-SDI input without issue.

They (JVC) are bundling Liquid with ProHD for a good reason, it supports the format completely. Another user is using Liquid to capture the video and then batch to a format that Composer can understand. If you need to work in Composer exclusively, it may be a good idea to pick up the Liquid (software only) system to get your footage in and processed.

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Just to clarify - Xpress Pro HD does not exist any more. They dropped the HD a couple of versions back, it's just Xpress Pro 5.6 now.
Quote:
So, there's no solution to the problem? But it doesn't make sense our Avid HD system is one of the latest and most up-to-date HD editing suites and when we purchased it, the resellers promised that it supports anything and everything HD or HDV. So, there must be a way around this problem right?
Nope. Unless you capture outside XPro, convert to 1080p, then import & edit at that res.

Current word is December for 720p25/24, but if that gets pushed to next year, I will be one unsurprised customer.
Shaun Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

So, I should purchase the Avid Liquid 7.0 software and install it onto my Avid MC HD system and everything will be OK?

Thanks a lot for everybody's advice by the way!
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family