XL2 with Avid NLE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old January 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 with Avid NLE

I use avid xpress pro for my editing, but my tapes after capturing into the NLE does not give me TOD therefore when I try to create subclips, it does not do it and the subclip comes as the same lenght of the tape, and not individual clips from "breaks" during recording with the xl2.
Am I missing something - setting on the xl2. I have GL2 and it gives me those subclips so that I can add transitions and others.
I need some input from those with similar workflow - [xl2 - avid xpress pro]

Also if someone is looking for a videographer/partner for a shot in the Tri-state NY-NJ-CT or even MA and VA let me know
Akwasi Osei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I"m thinking you haven't got the "Enable DV scene extraction" setting set for the bin. By the way, you can create subclips AFTER you capture the whole tape as well.

Gp tp upir Recprd Settomgs dialog box and click on DV Options tab. Select DV scene Extraction, then select ADD Locators, (if you want them), Create Subclips, or BOTH.

I shoot with the XL2 and Avid XpressPro.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #3
New Boot

I do exactly as you described but the resulting subclip[ONLY ONE] is the same lenght as the captured tape in the bin, and not individual subclips clips from breaks during the recording.
Now with my GL2, after capturing the tape and using dv scene extraction, I get as many subclips as a result of all the breaks during the recording. Let's say I recorded some 'cut aways of about 7sec each' when I create the subclip, I get each subclip as needed for transitions. The xl2 tape does not do that, so I do not know why!!!!
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

DO you have non drop frame timecode selected? I think that might be your problem, but I'm not sure. Check your timecode settings in the camera.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #5
New Boot

where/how do you check that
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #6
New Boot

My the way I have another question. I had this camera not long ago after enjoying the gl2 for a while. Are there any setting/adjustments that I should know to get the best out of it. I am away of the custom preset thing, but can you share some experience on this camera
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Do you own a manual? Did you buy the camera without one? The instructions for setting time code are on page forty eight in the english version.

Also in AvixXpresspro, the scene detection will not work on DVCPro tapes. Not that that should be a problems.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family