Simple Question Of A Newbie:Liquid Or Xpress? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple Question Of A Newbie:Liquid Or Xpress?

Hello everybody there,
I am Sony Vegas user, but I want so much to try Avid products. So, please for some good short explanation: what is newer and better choice - Liquid or Xpress, and why? Or maybe Media Composer? Please don't tell me to go to Avid website, I just want to get advises, opinions and impressions from a people here who work and know both Liquid and Xpress in depth.

Last edited by Plamen Petrov; March 16th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Major Player

What camera do you plan to capture with? If it is either the JVC HD100/200 or the Canon XL-H1/A1/G1, then DO NOT go with Media Composer or Xpress Pro since 24f/P are not supported by Avid, nor will they be in the near future.
Liquid can handle both.

Liquid is an "All-In-One" application. It can burn DVD's, edit in Surround Sound, do effects and edit. It is more similar to the new style Editing Apps that are always in Segment Mode, meaning you can always drag and drop clips on the timeline. I tired Liquid, but it felt like toy. It has very professional features, but I really do not like the interface at all. You can download a free trial of Liquid from the Avid site.

Xpress Pro and Media Composer are very similar, minus some high end functions. They are the industry standard if you plan to use any post houses. They are made to work best with film workflows, and also work with P2 well. These also have the highest learning curve since they are not like any of the other editing applications on the market today. Avid has a free download of something called, "Avid Free DV." This will give you a sense of what Xpress Pro and Media Composer look like and run.

Basically, I learned on Media 100 and FCP. I began using Segment mode from the beginning. When I tried Xpress Pro, it took me a long time to learn the system and I was very frustrated because I couldn't just "move things around." That said, after learning Xpress Pro, I now set up my Final Cut Pro system to mimic Avid. In my opinion, Avid's way is the fastest way to edit. It just takes some time.

Remember though, Xpress Pro and Media Composer can only really edit. (Media Composer can do go Color Keys though with the effects Spectre Matte and Animatte). No Secondary Color Correction (which is becoming a sore spot since Liquid has it and FCP has it, while Avid only offers it on Symphony and DS which are over $80,000). So you need to ask yourself what else are you planning to do. Avid does sell the "Toolkit" for a $1000 which has Avid DVD, FX, and 3D which will make it more like the Apple or Adobe production suites and will work with Media Composer or Xpress Pro.

Tell us more about what you plan to do specifically and what your editing experience is, and we can direct you better. If you have the money though (and plan not to use the new JVC or Canon cameras), go with Media Composer with the Toolkit.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner View Post
Avid does sell the "Toolkit" for a $1000 which has Avid DVD, FX, and 3D which will make it more like the Apple or Adobe production suites and will work with Media Composer or Xpress Pro.
If I am not mistaken, the 'Toolkit' only applies to a PC. On a Mac you can only use the editing application itself (AXP or MC) and then use other applications for DVD creation and effects work.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala View Post
If I am not mistaken, the 'Toolkit' only applies to a PC. On a Mac you can only use the editing application itself (AXP or MC) and then use other applications for DVD creation and effects work.
Yes, Toolkit is only PC (maybe that will change at NAB since Apple went Intel, but who knows).

At that price point, you are better off with the Final Cut Production Suite for DVD replication. DVD Studio Pro is the best App on both platforms. Plus you get Motion, Soundtrack Pro, and Final Cut (not that you would need it with Avid though).

I currently Author in DVD Studio Pro and love it.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family