I'm new to Avid and need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old March 30th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm new to Avid and need help

I'm new to Avid and am a bit confused. I'm looking into getting one of the editing programs but I have no idea which one I want. There are so many versions of Avid and their site is a bit confusing as to what the difference is.

I'm getting hung up on the fact that when I use Final Cut there is only Final Cut (insert version number). When I use Premiere there is only Premiere (insert version number). If it dosnt say "Pro" after the title I know its a consumer version (for now at least). My confusion comes from the fact that there is no Avid Pro, or not to my knowledge. So can someone do what Avid's web site should do and explain whats different in each version and tell me what version the Pros use.

Money is no object. I'm trying to set up all three editing stations at my school so we as film students can learn on all three. I'm also trying to get a Moviola so we can learn on 35mm. (The school dosnt really seem to care about our education, only about us getting a degree.)
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, the "Pro" version of Avid that most feature films and television shows are cut on would probably be Symphony, or perhaps Nitris, or maybe Composer.

Keep in mind, that the actual user interface of AVID, is nearly identical, no matter which version you are using. As you move up from AVID FREE DV to AVID MEDIA COMPOSER, you will still see similar timelines, monitors, bins, etc. What you get as you 'move up' are more features. More tracks, more effects, more formats,etc.

Most of us in the 'mid-range' indy market are cutting with AVID XPRESS PRO (or AXP as it is reffered to) They dropped the HD designation from the name last year I think, but yeah, it cuts various forms of HD, but not ALL of them. You can buy the supplemental MOJO box, for additional 'acceleration'. Just like you buy extra cards and hardware for FINAL CUT PRO.

You can cut on MEDIA COMPOSER as software only, or you can buy the additional hardware to accelerate as well.

In fact, if you cut your film on Avid Xpress Pro, you can take the project into an AVID SYMPHONY suite, and finish it online if you like. In spite of the fact that there are many 'flavors' of AVID... the user interface and the interoperability is it's strength. That's why features will be offlined on AXP and finished on a symphony. Same interface, and portability.

One of the strengths of AVID is it's ability to CUT FILM. Still has the strongest and most reliable software for generating cutlists. And it comes with Avid Xpress Pro on up.

The whole reason for the different flavors of AVID, is that they are really using the same sourcecode for the software, just 'locking' or 'unlocking' different features between the levels. This is the problem that AVID has. It is trapped in a business model where it has to protect its high end industry clients, who purchased 'fullfeatured' hardware/software systems along with support - Damned by us on the bottom for not giving it to us, and damned by those on top if they do.

Final Cut Pro doesn't have a 'high end' to protect. There market share in the broadcast and film industry is still very small. There share in the 'mid level' and 'indy' market is huge and growing.

NOTE: AVID LIQUID was aquired from... Pinnacle I think, and rebranded as an AVID product. It does not share the same interface as the other AVID products. It's a nifty program though, and well worth looking at.

Last edited by Richard Alvarez; March 31st, 2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Trustee

I know Richard knows this, just forgot to mention it. Too avoid confusion, know that Avid Liquid is a Windows XP only solution. There are no plans that I have heard of for a Mac version.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family