Quadro FX 1500 vs FX3450 for Liquid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old May 12th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quadro FX 1500 vs FX3450 for Liquid

In my continuing efforts to build a decent upgrade for editing DV and HDV, I'm zeroing in on a Dual Xeon workstation. But I'm struggling with a couple of choices and would like to hear some opinions. First of all I am torn between the two video cards named in the title. Here are a couple of HP white papers on them:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12299_na.HTML
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450 Graphics Controller

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12499_na.HTML
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 Graphics Controller

A company called ADK Videoediting configures systems, and for a Xeon workstation their default choice is the 3450. The 1500 is $463 less by their numbers, it's not the default choice, but in their features-line at the top of the page, that is the card they specifically mention as a point of attraction. I'm confused by that. Videoguys, also recommend the 3450 for their Xeon Workstation recommendation, but they seem to think it retails at $600 as of April 2007. The best price I have seen is in the neighborhood of $900 (versus about $500 for the FX1500). They don't explain their preference.

The thing is, as I look at the specs and features, I see the 3450 as the better of the two for CAD or graphics rendering (animation), but I have my doubts that it really is better for video editing. Both cards have dual DVI outs supporting a max res of 3840x2400 on dual-link lines, but the 3450 only has one dual-link output whereas the 1500 has two. The 1500 also has an out for HDTV in component and composite mode, while the 3450 has none. The 3450 does accommodate SLI hookups, but do I need that for a simple two monitor workstation editing HDV?

Avid Liquid is GPU intensive, and I can't tell which of these two cards has more of the kind of oomph that will let that NLE do its thing. I know they will both be superb, but when the pricepoint is so different, I want to know what I am gaining or losing by going with the cheaper card.

Since I also use After Effects for compositing, and will have the new Adobe Production Suite on the same system as the current version of AL (7.2), I need to look at the performance benefits of these cards for those tools as well.

Can anybody give me some insight here? Why do the video system configuration pros seem to lean toward the Quadro FX 3450 over the FX 1500? What am I missing?

I'll save my CPU question for a separate thread.

-Stephen
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Video Card

I have a Media Composer Adrenaline 8200 that came with the quadro fx 1500 card. It was a great all around card that worked really well, never a moment of problems. I just bought a Quadro FX 3500 last week on ebay, under $400 (3500 is the upgrade to the 3450). The reason.... Boris Blue (from Boris FX) does not support the 1500, I could not get real time preview, which was a pain. So my advice is also to check any other plug-ins or software that might reside on the system to make sure of them all being compatible!

Couple hundred dollars difference, in my opinion spend it now, but everyone has a limited budget to spend. For reference, the fx1500 is on ebay, and currently sitting at $35.00 (user name IMPOGS).
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Quadro FX1500 supported in Boris Blue

FYI -

As of 4th quarter 2007, Quadro FX1500 is supported by Boris Blue and Red. Works great with Vegas Pro and Maya, too!

Stone reliable card.

Mark
Mark Gervasoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

I think you'd be OK with the 1500. I'd go with that. It's a good reliable card.

You can always ugrade via Ebay and save some $$. I bought a 3400 (almost the same as the 3450) for $250 a while back.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family