Beowulf ... WHAT??? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #61
Major Player

LOL Dave, the story is only beginning in the first book and its only about an inch thick...the other three are about 4 inches thick. You still have to read "rama 2", "the garden of rama" and "rama revealed". Man i envy you, i love scifi books and that series was the best.

You better get to it :)

Andy.
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
Iv been waiting for arthur c clarke's "Rendezvous with rama" series to be made for a while now, its a four book scifi monster. Word is that Morgan Freeman owns the rights and intends to play one of the lead roles, that would be an epic scifi quadrilogy if they get made, watch this space it may be the next big thing.....i just hope they do the books justice.

Andy.
Nah... Space Travel's a big washout. I mean what was the last space travel movie that was a hit? Morgan Freeman has been trying to get RWR made for about ten yearsnow, at one point he and finvcher were going to make it as their follow up to "Seven". So don't hold your breath.

TV sci fi is far better than almost anything in that genre at the cinemas these days anyways.

If I have a prediction, I think World War II movies are going to mke a come back, but stupid gung-ho "Where Eagles Dare" type movies rather than "The Thin Red Line"/"Saving Private Ryan" variety.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #63
Major Player

Yeah iv been waiting for about 5 years since i heard about rama, thing is though if they approached it from a story based point of view rather than the space scifi one it could do really well like Aliens for example, its in space but they don't make a big deal out of it. The concept would be a great story, they may not have had the technology to make a film like rama untill now. I aint holdin my breath but im hopefull.

As for your prediction there is the remake of the Dam Busters that Peter Jackson is making, im not too sure its gonna go down well though, there are a lot of fans of the origional.

Andy.
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #64
MPS Digital Studios

I was just talking about Rama yesterday with my friends. Morgan Freeman wanted Fincher to direct, with mo-cap used (before mo-cap was taken seriously).

Old news from 2002:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/12826

and

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12829

Heath
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu View Post
are you guys for real? the poem of beowulf is FICTION! what historical inaccuracies are you talking about? lol.

even history back then were iffy. there's imply not a lot of evidence one way or another of who's who just like 300. we dunno how many they were against. just rough estimates.

even real "history" itself is mythical, lol.
Well your lol's got to me, in what I see as a great disrespect to everything pre Nintendo, and of a certain uneducated arrogance. What you are saying is true in most respects. But historical accuracy isn't the major factor of why altering writings from the past is wrong. Most ancient writings that still survive today do so because they contain esoteric knowledge within those writings, that knowledge doubles as entertainment. That means they were not constructed and designed to be mindless garbage to be quickly consumed and discarded, like much (all)of todays media. No more would it be acceptable to change a biblical story or a work of Shakespeare and expect its meaning and relevance or historical impact to be intact. So the Beowulf story maybe isn't historical, but the story is now of historical importance. There is a reason it is told the way it was. If you believe that the greatest works of mankind (of which there are pitifully few modern day examples) should be surrounded by "LOL"'s, then it is you that is you that doesn't understand what is of historical context, and what is fiction.
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #66
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu View Post
are you guys for real? the poem of beowulf is FICTION! what historical inaccuracies are you talking about? lol.
A basic college-level Literature class would show you how the story of Beowulf, despite being a fictional work, is actually set in a very real historical past, around Sixth Century A.D., with the narrative referring often to many real people, places and events that actually lived, existed and happened. So yes, historical accuracy plays a factor here. As I pointed out earlier, the economy of film (that is, the economy of visual story-telling) tends to compress the narrative compared to literal story-telling, and it's worth examining how faithful the modern visual adaptation remains to the ancient written one. That's also a matter of "historical accuracy" in a different sense.

So yes, we are for real, lol.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #67
Major Player

So, is this fiction along the same lines as the Da Vinci code? I loved how the Catholic church felt the need to denounce it as being 'full of lies'. Some of us thought that's what 'fiction' meant. :)

I have to say that I've seen many an excellent book told truly, and been completely bored by the movie. I think that far more important is capturing the audience's attention, telling a story to capture the hearts and minds. I think part of that comes down to it being a story that captures the audio/visual artists retelling the story. And I really just wanted to bring up that fact about the Da Vinci Code. I was amused endlessly by that. :D

Carl
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #68
Obstreperous Rex

No, it's fiction along the same lines as Cold Mountain.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #69
Trustee

and yet if zemeckis was so faithful to the source material in all its 'historical' context, the immediacy of the story would have been deflated. some parts historic, but i believe it is mostly entertainment =).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark