New Kubrick box set at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Wrangler

New Kubrick box set

http://kubrickfilms.warnerbros.com/

Quote:
Newly remastered, this 10-disc set spans MGM's 2001: A Space Odyssey through Warner titles A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Shining (1980), Full Metal Jacket (1987) and Eyes Wide Shut (1999). The last four are finally letterboxed against Kubrick's apparent wishes, a judgment call that will still please many.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...D_N.htm?csp=34

This might be my next major DVD purchase :-) Has anybody seen it yet?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are these the ones with extra features, the special editions that are coming up?
Because that would be my only reason to buy them, personally (if they appear in Belgium), is watching extra documentaries about the man and his films...

If the boxset doesn't contain extra features, I think it's a bit of a worthless new edition... like that Blade Runner Director's Cut Remastered Edition DVD a year ago... while almost everyone knew there would be a new final cut this year, with MANY extra features and a completely restored picture.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Wrangler

I own most of his films already, but only one or two of them are in anamorphic 16:9 (2001 and The Shining I think?). A better quality transfer would be enough to hook me. I think the new versions may also be available in HD? I think 2001 in HD would almost be enough incentive to convince me I need an HD video player :-)

BTW, the documentary (by Kubrick's daughter) included with the old edition of The Shining is excellent and worth watching if you haven't seen it already.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
BTW, the documentary (by Kubrick's daughter) included with the old edition of The Shining is excellent and worth watching if you haven't seen it already.
I know, seeing Shelley Duvall breaking up, and finally seeing some footage of Kubrick on a set... it's nice.
Also loved the 'A Life in Pictures' documentary.
In Belgium we had the exposition that his wife set up here last year on the film festival, and they showed all of Kubrick's movies on the big screen.
Was a nice experience (I only saw 2001, Shining and Clockwork on the big screen).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Major Player

It doesn't include "The Killing," "Barry Lyndon," "Lolita," or "Dr. Strangelove" (only the greatest movie ever made, IMHO). It's hardly complete.

I'm guessing those weren't done for Warner Brothers.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
It doesn't include "The Killing," "Barry Lyndon," "Lolita," or "Dr. Strangelove" (only the greatest movie ever made, IMHO). It's hardly complete.

I'm guessing those weren't done for Warner Brothers.

Strangelove is his best film, with out that in the set its not worth buying imo. However it is on my christmas list. They're all great movies, but I don't have over a hundred dollars to dish out for a box set. But santa does, so I"ll count on him.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Barry Lyndon definitely was done for Warners. I think it has more to do with the the demographic they were going for: Two Sci Fi movies, a Horror Movie, a War movie, and Nicole Kidman (and other women) in the nude.

Period dramas don't do it got the geek crowd I guess.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Trustee

I already have the Strangelove special edition so I put this box set on my wish list. Hopefully there will be some nice extras or commentary.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark