The Cloverfield Thread (SPOILERS) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Major Player

I went to see this movie last night and when it was over, all that was heard was a collective "boo, that sucked" from the audience. I too, felt similarly after watching ...

I guess my issues just stem from several different things. Just too much of it felt unrealistic for me ... when the statue of liberty fell onto the street, I found it odd that no one was really screaming ... people were just walking around with their hands on their heads. And for a guy to be filming all this seems too implausible. I'd be inclined to believe it if it was a documentarian of some sorts, but they handed the camera to a guy that was reluctant to even shoot in the beginning saying his hands are full of other things to do. To then suddenly want to document everything while running for their lives is a little unbelievable. What was just as unbelievable was the humor some of the characters were using, even cracking some quick jokes while their lives were in imminent danger ... a little strange to me.

There are many more things, but I guess my biggest gripe is that I didn't care much for the characters. No development at all. I can live with the unexplained reason for the monster, but the characters had no depth. So it made it incredibly hard for me to care much for them. When Rob was in the Spring St. subway talking to his mom, saying that his brother was dead, I was like "hmm, oh well ..."

And then at the end with their demise, all I could think of was "hmm, oh well ..."

Though I don't think it's a bad movie, it certainly isn't anything great. My overall feeling:

"It's redeems itself by knowing that when you finally see the main characters die at the end, you know the movie is finally over."

ON A SIDE NOTE: Where can I get a camera like what they had? They dropped it so many times and the fact that it survived the nuke they did on New York at the end is making me think twice about shooting with the RED ... I should seriously consider that cam! Maybe it's the new XL-H2 ... what do you think Mr. Hurd?

:)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm not sure what they shot it on, but it couldn't have been a CMOS camera cause I didn't see any skewing going on with all the whip pans and running shots. My poor little FX7 and HV20 would have been skewing up a storm if shot like that.

I saw a production still from the final bridge scene and he's holding one of those Panasonic AVCHD cams. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the link somewhere.
***EDIT***
It was the Panasonic HSC1U.
Here's the still on IMDB

Speaking of cameras, did it bother anyone else that at the beginning in the text explaining where the footage came from that it states it was from a SD card found in Central Park, but in the movie they keep saying things like "rewind the tape" and you keep seeing where they recorded over some old footage like it was tape. This kept annoying the geek in me.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

They're selling the HVX that shot it on eBay. I won't link to it, but here's the story:

http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com...-for-sale.html

heath
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #19
Trustee

So it was an HVX? I keep reading conflicting reports.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
ON A SIDE NOTE: Where can I get a camera like what they had? They dropped it so many times and the fact that it survived the nuke they did on New York at the end is making me think twice about shooting with the RED ... I should seriously consider that cam! Maybe it's the new XL-H2 ... what do you think Mr. Hurd?

:)
Someone in our crowd thought the same thing After one of the many times it should have died a person yelled out "That is one hell of a f'ing camera".
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

I have heard that they used the HVX200 as their main camera, with some Viper and F23 footage, plus a Panasonic handicam for one or two shots.

heath
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

That camera...

Absolutely must be the most bad-ass battery in the world...
I need to get some of those...

Also, did anyone else notice that the beginning of the film states that its the replay from an sd card and yet the shot the film as if it were a tape with old footage? They keep referring to the tape as well...

Woops...
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Well, there's the "goof!" I thought of that when they kept saying tape. To be fair, I still say, "I'm gonna tape the simpsons tonight," when I really mean DVR it. Hold habits die hard.

heath
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
And for a guy to be filming all this seems too implausible. I'd be inclined to believe it if it was a documentarian of some sorts, but they handed the camera to a guy that was reluctant to even shoot in the beginning saying his hands are full of other things to do. To then suddenly want to document everything while running for their lives is a little unbelievable. What was just as unbelievable was the humor some of the characters were using, even cracking some quick jokes while their lives were in imminent danger ... a little strange to me.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I could imagine wanting to document everything about a giant monster destroying New York. And I would be the guy to crack witty jokes in dangerous situations. lol. But maybe that's just me. =)

I think the only problem with the movie I had was how shaky everything was. I mean I know it's handheld and it's supposed to look like a home movie, but I had to look away a few times because I felt like I was gonna puke. When the helicopter crashed and the camera was on the ground for a minute, some kid in the audience yelled "finally, a still frame!" lol.

I didn't actually see it, but I saw on IMDB that in the final scene where they're on the ferris wheel, you can see a UFO crashing into the lake. I'm not sure though. I didn't notice it when I saw it.

I think it'd be funny though if in the sequel, it's just a continuation of the first movie and they just ran out of tape in the first movie so they changed the tape.
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

I was laying in bed with my ex- watching Thirteen about 3 or so years ago, and I had to stop because I was getting sick watching the movie. It wasn't super shaky, but the camera just kept rocking back and forth and I got ill.

You know, we had this discussion almost 9 years ago for Blair Witch, heh heh.

heath
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #26
Regular Crew

well the funny thing is that in the beginning
it says the format the DoD has the footage on is
an SD card.

I want to know where there is a consumer level SD card
that shoots 90 minutes of HD!
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #27
Major Player

And how's that monster... that can't be real. I mean, how many times was it shot, yet I didn't see any blood? :)
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell View Post
I think it'd be funny though if in the sequel, it's just a continuation of the first movie and they just ran out of tape in the first movie so they changed the tape.
Abrams has suggested the possibility of a sequel in which a different tape from the same event is discovered and we see the happenings again from an alternate viewpoint.

I personally did not get sick from watching it but my eyes did get a little tired.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

Read my friend's opinion on making a sequel like that:

http://screenrant.com/archives/clove...idea-1300.html

I think they should go in another direction, for sure.

heath
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Just got back from the afternoon screening of "Cloverfield" and for once, teenagers messing with their cellphone during the movie didn't really bother me--- it just added to the "atmosphere" of this film.

[I haven't seen a film in the theaters for over a year and half!]

It is part "Blair Witch" and part "War of the Worlds"[Spielberg's version] with a little of bit of "Aliens" thrown in for good measure.

I thought it was a fun thrill ride--and actually laughed out load through most of it.

I didn't bother to nitpick about video camera issues--- because if I did, I would have wondered what camcorder can record such great realistic sounds.[Machine gun fire]

My wife got dizzy from the "handheld" camera work though.

Fun!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark