Avast ye! Pirates of the Caribbean thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 12th, 2003, 11:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Avast ye! Pirates of the Caribbean thoughts

(No spoilers)

Some neat characters, great acting by all, especially Johnny Depp, a tidy, lawful mythology, and special effects that served the story, rather than the other way around. Another hit out of the ball park for Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot, IMO. Will big bix office make it a grand slam? Can it even recoup its budget? What do you think?

Did anybody understand why Bootstrap's blood was needed? What was the deal there? After the end of the movie (and end of the credits--stay for the credits, if ye dare), whose blood is needed now?

And, was he really holding that apple through the whole swordfight?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:26 AM   #2
Major Player

yarr matey!

This film has great reviews so far. I'm going to see it tomorrow.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Major Player

I really enjoyed the flic. I haven't been able to say that about a big budget movie in quite some time. Good fun.
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah, a lot of fun to watch. I had no idea it was almost 2.5 hours long until I looked at my watch as I was walking out. Keeps you thoroughly entertained. Lots of twists and turns to keep you interested, and I usually don't like big budget movies much either.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Loved it. I was so afraid that it was going to be "Hidden Pirate Crouching canon" with wire harnesses and stuff...I was really pleased with the fight sequences.

The plot device with the blood line was a little confusing, but I plan to see it again and see if it makes more sense.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

I thought it was pretty decent--it felt like it needed to be over a while earlier than it actually was. Without Depp, of course, it would have been worthless.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Also, for those of you who've been on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney, did you catch all the ride references? I loved the little easter eggs. Made it more entertaining, trying to pick out all the scenes from the animatronics on the ride.
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Possible spoilers.

Just saw this and loved it!

The bloodline was a bit confusing, but it was my interpretation that Bootstrap's blood was needed because he somehow created the curse (this kind of blurred for me!).

After the credits - I don't think anyone's blood is needed, but the objects need to be put back together again.

[sniff, sniff] Anyone smell a sequel around here?
Old July 15th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #9
Major Player

SPOILERS

The first time the pirates gather to become mortal again, Rush's character says a few lines that clear up the blood situation. To summarize, he asks all the pirates "Who here hasn't paid their bloodprice!?" to which everyone responds accordingly.

This means that all of them have spilled some blood on the coins as bloodprice. All except Bootstrap because they sent him to the bottom of the ocean before finding out that ALL of their blood was needed.

This is why Bloom's blood was required. This is also why, if you notice, Depp's character cuts his hand before throwing the coin he stole back to Bloom's character, William Turner.

In other words everyone had to spill some blood back but because they prematurely killed Bootstrap, his son was the only way they could be free.

As for the special ending the monkey's blood is all that is needed since everyone else paid their bloodprice (and since no one else stole any more gold)

But beware if you steal some! They should bury that chest, very dangerous. Then again, if it were me, I'd steal a coin, do what I want, then return it - time and time again!
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

But you'd be all dead and stuff, dude. No one wants to hire a dead cameraman, or whatever you happen to be. "How's his camerawork? Well, it's lifeless. Same for his acting, his directing, his cinematography. It's like he's dead or something." Plus you can't eat, probably don't sleep. . .it's just not worth it, dude. Stay away from the damn coins!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #11
Wrangler

Christopher--thanks for clearing that up.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, it was odd to me at first too. You can miss Rush's line even if you're listening because it just sounds like a fancy speech. Interesting that the filmmakers hinged so much on just those few lines - I know lots of people who were confused too including myself.

Josh - If I do a bad job I won't have to fear retaliation from any producers or I could make a great stuntman!
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Saw the movie on sunday, thought it was awesome. It goes to show that a PG-13 can still be a hell of a movie. There was still alot of action, and at times I wondered what how the lil tikes in the audience were handling it - especially when one of my buddies pointed out the phallic reference during a close up of Mr. Depp's hand gripping the steering wheel handle.

I saw the preview for Disney's next flick, The Haunted House, which leads me to believe that they're making infomercials out of all of the rides at Disneyland. Disney did this in the 50s on its TV segments, highlighting the new park's features. Not sure though how It's a Small World would pan out for a feature film. Can you imagine that song for 2 hours?!?
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #14
Trustee

That's so horrible they just might do it.
*shudder*
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #15
Capt. Quirk

Josh- What makes you think that Hollywood cameramen HAVEN"T sold their soles, and become the living undead? I know the Producers have :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark