"MIRRORS" - Movie Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Major Player

"MIRRORS" - Movie Review

So I saw "Mirrors" opening night last night. The movie started off kind of dissapointingly, with VERY grainy footage and a sort of lens distortion that made me uncomfortable. Also the camera was shaky to the point that you could not tell if that is how they wanted the shot to come out. Also, they made some very peculiar camera movements. The graphics started off kind of shaky too, especially flames...I thought it was kind of comical. So for the first 15 minutes or so, I assumed this film either did not have a large budget, or was poorly produced.

That being said, I was surprised that the theater was packed house. And after the first 15 minutes of the movie, it seems that the crew "got it together." Or maybe it was a different crew? Or maybe they wanted the viewer to feel irritated during the beginning of the film? After this, the shots got much more interesting, and the grain was no more than that of regular film grain. Also, the graphical---or CGI work was more on point...maybe they just needed help in a particular area? I'm sure it was VERY challenging.

There were a few unanswered questions throughout the plot, but I won't get into that. There were some scenes were the acting was a little strange, and the casting was a little off in my opinion.

Okay, now that that is out of the way. About 40 minutes into the movie, I was committed. I wanted to know the question the producer/writer was trying to answer. I wanted to know "what's the big mystery?" And I will say this, I have not seen a scary film since "The Ring." Maybe a couple, but none that are stuck in my mind. I find 98% of scary (which I believe is more of a sub genre of horror) films to be a comedy. But "Mirrors" successfully brought back the scary movie. See this movie late at night!!!

Overall, I must say I rather enjoyed the film despite the questionable start. It had it's own sort of feel to it that made it different than any other movie I have ever seen. There is one major unanswered question, but I think I can deal with it, or draw my own conclusion. Also, there is one scene/idea that is brought up 1 hour into the movie. Something that most of us see everyday, but never in this way...and probably will never see the same again!

Good movie.

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark