Open Water film shot on...? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 5th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #46
Major Player

I know numerous filmmakers who had the cost of marketing subtracted from the purchase price of the film. It is quite common. So, although the studio 'technically' covers the marketing, the cost is often times taken from the purchase price.
I didn't mean to make it sound as if the filmmakers were actually responsible for the marketing of their own films, just the cost.

So, a studio will say they bought a film for 5 million, but will spend much of that money on the marketing of the film.

I'm not saying it's like that all the time, that's why I was asking about Open Water. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't the case this time.

And, as far as Aranofsky goes, I"m not trying to say the guy got a bum deal. He did go on to make other films, and he's been rewarded handsomely for those. But, it's my understanding from people who know him personally that he did not see much monetary gain from PI (not to say that he didn't gain a hell of a career from it).

But, you're right, it's all about having a good lawyer.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #47
MPS Digital Studios

They wouldn't say, but some reports put it at around $300,000. But who knows for sure?

heath
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #48
Major Player

What cost them that much money? I can't see anything in there from the trailer.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #49
Trustee

See the Movie Open Water

Just saw it last night. What a 35 mm transfer! Didn't look bad at all for a blowup from mini dv Sony PD 150 and VX 2000.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #50
Wrangler

was it scary?
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Heck, as an open water diver myself... the concept is TERRIFYING. I have come up and not seen the boat before... and the pucker factor is unbeliveable. Turns out it was hidden by swells. Still, scary as hell.

I plan on seeing the movie, but the previews I saw looked awful, in terms of transfer quality. Is the film better than the transfers?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #52
Wrangler

After Jaws when I was a kid, I can just now go back into kiddie pools. I think I'll pass on the extra water terror.
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #53
Air China Pilot

What. We're not seeing Anacondas?

But I met the writer. I feel I owe it to him.
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:35 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I look forward to seeing it, been hearing a lot about it for quite some time. A family friend who dives says that these things happen!
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 07:32 PM   #55
Major Player

Is it thought provoking, or exploitational like Jaws?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:08 PM   #56
Major Player

It's not really thought provoking or exploitational. It's more like a "realisitic" character study in fear...and a lame one at that. I'm all for independent, and low budget films, but this one got bought because Lion's Gate knew if they could say "Blair Witch" and "Jaws" in the same tag line they'd make money.

If you think being a diver will the make the film more relatable and frightening, you're wrong. There's virtually no suspense buildup. The act of being left behind is initially terrifyng, but loses it's scariness because the content (talking heads bickering) and pacing are so weak. The boat leaves them, they wait for it to return, and then they argue about for 96 minutes (running time) while floating around (not literally, but you get my point). Then there are a bunch of plot holes. When the ending's coming you can feel it, and are saying to yourself, "if the credits come up in a second, I'm going to be PISSED!", and then they do...

I saw a lot of stair stepping in high contrast regions, and because of the huge amount of time at sea, without polarizers, there were a ton of blowouts. I almost felt like I was at the beach and needed polarized sunglasses. If that was the effect they were going for, then they achieved it, but it was really annoying.

I'm sure pelnty of people will disagree with everything I just said, so remember before replying that I'm just stating my opinion on the film. I'm certainly not claiming it's doctrine.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:49 PM   #57
Major Player

Blair Witch meets Jaws, that is exactly what it looked and felt like upon viewing the trailer. And in the wake of reality tv shows. Hmmm...TTFN.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:38 AM   #58
Major Player

Although "Blair Witch" meets "Jaws" is a good tagline, the movie wasn't anywhere close for me...
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM   #59
Wrangler

I'll take a spoiler on how it ends if you don't mind. I'm not going to see it. Not because it sounds that scary, just because it doesn't sound like it's worth my $10.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:58 AM   #60
Major Player

!!SPOILER ENDING!!

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

The couple makes it through the day, but both have been bitten on their calves. The woman not as badly as the man. The night is "stormy" (complete blackness while they say things are touching them, accept when you hear thunder and then see flashes of daylight footage of them floating and sharks splashing). The morning comes, the boat captain realizes he left the couple and rallies troops for a search. The woman wakes up (who would sleep through those conditions?) to find her husband/boyfriend is dead. She lets go of his body, which floats away and gets pulled under and presumably eaten (why the sharks wouldn't have done it 12 hours earlier, or how he actually died is beyond me). The woman is alone and sees more active sharks. She takes off her gear and lets herself sink...credits roll.

Writing it actually made it sound all right, but it defintely isn't.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark