DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Movies so bad, that they're actually..... good? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/25471-movies-so-bad-theyre-actually-good.html)

Keith Loh May 9th, 2004 11:31 PM

You know Battle Beyond the Stars was one of James Cameron's big breaks.

Linda Schodowsky May 10th, 2004 07:11 PM

Okay... I forgot one.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Back in 1978-79, when I was at art school in Denver, a group of us would make the weekend trip to the Ogden Theater in downtown Denver. I think I saw it at least 20 times!

Patrick MCMurray May 16th, 2004 10:10 AM

how bout ones like Speed or the Rock? ones that youll watch because its on tv and you have nothing better to do.

thanks to keith for pointing out Troma. One movie they did that definatly DOES NOT fit in this topic is Cannible The Musical! One of the best movies of all times. Trey Parker and Matt Stone shot it in film school for something like $150K.

John Hudson May 18th, 2004 08:25 PM

LOL

Yes!

Rocky Horror and Battle Beyond the Stars! I love them both!

NAVY SEALS
Terminal Velocity
Major League

I swear this isnt a Sheen thing! I just thought of one after another.

Keith Loh May 19th, 2004 10:37 AM

Mario Bros

Super Mario Brothers .. I didn't think it was that bad. It was just crazy and senseless. That doesn't make it bad in my book.

Mike Rehmus May 19th, 2004 07:41 PM

The latest 3D movie about those Kids. So bad I've tried and succeeded in forgetting the title.

John Hudson May 23rd, 2004 11:20 AM

Okay, Im not sure if this falls under the "its actually good" category; my wife ordered a pizza and apparently (papa johns) is giving out free DVD's with the order. She picked Wekkend at Bernies.

I was 19 when this came out. I watched it again and actually laughed. Maybe its nostalgia?

John Locke May 23rd, 2004 03:42 PM

Here are my three:

Disco Beaver from Outer Space
(National Lampoon film about a huge alien beaver--looking exactly like a big guy in a brown shag carpet suit. Actually a TV parody.)

The Brother from Another Planet
(another alien movie with a Harlem twist)

Lair of the White Worm
(Dune meets Dragonslayer--one of Hugh Grant's and Amanda Donohoe's first films)

Bill Pryor May 23rd, 2004 05:34 PM

For many years Ed Wood ruled in this area. However, I think he was outclassed when Kevin Costner did "Waterworld." But then even Kevin fell down a notch when "Battlefield Earth" came out. Sorta made me wonder what "Plan 9 From Outer Space" would have been like if Ed had had a $200 million budget like those other guys.
Also, the Science Fiction Channel sure does run some bombs these days--anything involving killer snakes, rats, ants, spiders, roaches, etc. They're all legitimate feature length movies, but probably never released until somebody at SciFi figured out they had more hours in a 24 hour day 365 days a year than they did available films.

Jeremiah Hall May 24th, 2004 07:57 PM

One of the worst I've ever seen was "A Polish Vampire in Burbank." Many moons ago, USA ran that one on their Up All Night show. I think it was shot on Beta. A good bad movie.

Bill Pryor May 24th, 2004 08:41 PM

Oh man, with a title like that, you'd have to watch it. My favorite all time bad movie title, which somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, is "Disco Beaver from Outer Space."

The SciFi channel did it again last night as I was channel surfing...one called "Mosquito." I watched the really bad acting and horrendous dialog for a few minutes, until they cut to the giant mosquitoes hovering outside the boarded up windows...it looked like a big stuffed mosquito that the gaffers were dangling from strings. Sort of reminded me of Ed Wood's paper plate flying saucers on strings.

All those strange bug attack movies seem to have a scene where they try to board up the windows in a shack, but the damn bugs always get through. I think the last mutant bug well done movie was "Them." That was in the '50's, and I saw a restored print a couple of years ago. It was still better than the newer crap they've been showing on the SciFi channel (if you can tune in at a time when they\'re not showing "Stargate" back to back for hours. I\'ve about given up on them, but they\'re still good for a bad movie laugh on occasion.

Mike Rehmus May 24th, 2004 10:02 PM

Don\'t forget, "It Came From Outer-Space!"

And "Dune."

Bill Pryor May 24th, 2004 10:16 PM

"Dune" the David Lynch or "Dune" the SF Channel series? I hate to admit it in public, but I kinda liked the series...it was like rereading the books after 20 years.

John Hudson May 24th, 2004 10:53 PM

Valley Girl!

I love this film and had the mad crush on Deborah Foreman. Dude. I was like 13.

Steve McDonald May 25th, 2004 12:02 AM

"The Return of the Night of the Living Dead" was intended to be a bad movie and a spoof of that genre, just like the much lower-budget original. But, the actress who played the key role in that sequel, did a very good job and performed some noteworthy heroics. In the college lecture hall where I paid 50 cents to see it, she developed quite a dedicated cheering section. I wish I could remember her name, as I\'d bet she did some other good things in her life.

Steve McDonald