Your Favorite Film??? (Look inside and have some fun!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 1st, 2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Trustee

Your Favorite Film??? (Look inside and have some fun!)

Ho, Ho, Ho....Tis' the season to have some fun, so let's do it!

What is your Favorite film and why?

My favorite film and has been for about 2 years now...is "Boogie Nights". Yes, believe it or not! The reason I love that film is because of the amazing character study. It has lots of stories and everything weaves together perfectly. Also, the performance of Mark Walberg is the best. I think it's great. The whole cast is great. Also, the film takes a subject matter that's sensitive (something we all share, and yet it's taboo) and makes it very human.

I've watched the film 15 times now, and everytime I'm so sucked into the stories and the great performances. Also, "Magnolia" is an amazing big brother to the film.

Ok, post your FAVORITE film!! Please don't say, "can't pick one"...just pick something you keep going back to and use that as your choice.

Murph
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Boogie Nights is fabulous, utterly. Easily one of my favorite American films from the last twenty years.

Could this be one of the great difficult to answer questions? I have a list of the most important films but the one that always goes to the top and vies, with one other film, by the same filmmaker no less, for the number one spot is

Andrei Tarkovsky's

STALKER.

...I've attempted several times here to put into words WHY, and I think i'll just go with:
Tarkovsky is cinema, a true artist and poet (a rarity in cinema). No one understood the medium better. STALKER was the zenith of his vision. It was the first of his films that I'd seen, and it is the one that has had the most impact on my understanding of cinema, and it's possibilities, and of the social role of art and artists. STALKER is the religious experience, in the broadest sense of the term. STALKER is Life. STALKER is the film that I watch to reset my compass and to remember what really matters while on this planet, in this form. Sounds pretentious, eh? The limitations of words...

Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The camera angles are all fun and engaging, the acting is excellent, but above all the content keeps me coming back for more. I've seen it countless times but I still notice new tidbits with each viewing.
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Gattaca
Ghost World
Adaptation

But nothing comes close to...

Lost in Translation.
Xiaoli Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:53 PM   #5
Wrangler

Tremors
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

Strictly Ballroom - I always seem to end up finishing this movie, whenever I accidentally come across it on IFC. I always find it amusing and just fun to watch.

"I don't want to win your stupid Pan-Pacific Grand Prix Amateur Championships, I just want to dance my own steps."
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Decalogue Series,Trois couleurs, The 400 Blows, Once Upon A Time In America, M, The Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, The Bicycle Thief, The Grapes of Wrath, Tokyo Story, The Seventh Seal, Singin' in the Rain, Rear Window, Persona, 8 1/2, Lawrence of Arabia, In the Heat of the Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Leon, Infernal Affairs, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Offret - Sacrificatio, The Motorcycle Diaries, Ichi The Killer, Auditon.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Whoa, what a crazy mix of films!

Has anyone seen "The Statement" with Mike Caine? The film is ok, but the interview with Norman Jewison is interesting. He talks about independent film, and what he says is something like (paraphrase), "Hollywood is owned by international corporations, and Independent film is owned by the the people going out looking for the money. The most interesting stories are from indie films because you are not trying to sell products etc."

It's just opinion, but I read something similar in an article about 1-2 years ago. It said the Hollywood system is imploding because the "bigger, better and and more marketing" aspect can't sustain itself. The movie theaters, movie studios, actors are all racing towards a brick wall.

However, I have found and from what people have said here film-wise that indie films are like "Davey" (from Davey and Goliath). The success of the documentry genre in the past few years...to me points to the fact that people are saying "We're capable of watching films that make us think too."

I love Hollywood films like everyone, but I'm more encouraged by the future of film than I am about music! The Britney Spears' of the world seem to more bothersome than Hollywood film.

This rant probably made no sense. Sorry..

Murph
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Gattaca
The Fellowship of the Ring
Fight Club
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:20 AM   #10
Major Player

Okay, here goes:
The Seven Samurai
Spartagus (original Kubrick)
Alien / Aliens
Matrix
Warriors
Braveheart
Tora Tora Tora
Return Of The Pink Panther
The Unforgiven
Amalie
Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
All of the Fellowship of the Ring series

more as my mood changes....

Jeff P :>)
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM   #11
Trustee

star wars (all 6). it rescued cinema and created a hunger for myth retold in different mediums (not just film). it is a rebirth of storytelling writ large. for some strange reason these series of movies tapped into American psyche. you can argue the world but i believe the phenomenon is very localized. i know there are fans worldwide but the states of the western civilization are the ones loving it the most. the citizens of the far east could give a rat's arse about it.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Major Player

I thought we were shooting for the ONE favorite film? Making a pile is easy! What is your favorite film?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Memento

Okay and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem For A Dream, Edward Scissorhands... ow, you know, just add a lot of Spielberg movies :-p I can't help it, sorry :-)
LOTR trilogy is also very good, 25th hour... No no I have to stop, they only asked one movie...

I hate your question ;-):-p
Héhé, driving people so nuts ;-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:08 AM   #14
Wrangler

Yeah come on guys. Don't wuss out and drop your top ten list. Anyone can do that. Pick one or go home. :)
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM   #15
Trustee

Ok..now I'm thinking it should have been "Top 10 Favorite Movies"?

Anyone think I should change the rules? Afterall, they were made to be broken right?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark