Movie Talk - What do you like? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 8th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #16
_redone_

<<The language of the characters has to fit the environment. You wouldn't expect rappers on the street to speak like genteel aristocrats, nor should you expect southern matrons to mouth off like they were longshoremen. It has to be REAL. Strive for authenticity.>>

I agree....I can think of plenty of films in which cursing seemed so nessesary.
Especially when a true story is begin told..its deemed part of a characters
persona.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Volcano High

I should add that this was probably the most crowd-pleasing movie I saw at the VIFF. It's about martial arts fantasy set in a modern Korean high school where different teams (judo club, wrestling club, kendo club, etc.) are trying to gain supremacy by finding a sacred text. Even the teachers are conspiring to find this device. A misfit who has been kicked out of many schools arrives and tries to resist being recruited by any side (but of course has to stand up for himself by the end of the movie). This movie has really good Matrix-style effects and fun action. It's probably one of the most entertaining films I've seen this year as far as popcorn fluff goes. Better than Shaolin Soccer because it is better paced.
Old October 8th, 2002, 07:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I only own a handful of DVD's, so I guess they qualify as a few of my fav's, in no particular order and by no means all inclusive:

1. Patton
2. Hoosiers
3. Roller Ball ( the James Caan version, of course )
4. Mulholland Drive
5. Amadeous
6. The Deer Hunter
7. Apocalypse Now, Redux
8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
9. Traffic

Also, Local Hero, which I don't own, to make it an even 10. Francis Ford Coppola is my favorite director, his storytelling method seems very objective.

oh, let me just throw in Woody Allen's "Annie Hall". When he sneezed on that stash of cocaine I fell on the floor laughing!
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I guess instead of just my favorite movies it be easier to list
my favorite directors. This is not inclusive, but their body of work
is awesome.
The list is alphabetical, not by favorite

Almodovar
Altman
Bunell
Cassavettes
Figis
Goddard
Kubrick
Kurosawa
Several modern japanese directors whos spelling escapes me at the moment.
Truffault

Okay, Pedro Almodovar (Tie me up, Tie me down, things about my mother) is my favorite. I love his compassion for the disaffected and fringe of society. His absurdist but gentle humor and the dignity he gives these people. He also has a deep love of women.
A man after my own heart. And he's self taught too. Thanks to him I have gotten to watch Victoria Abril many a time.

DVD watch........
If you can get you hands on a grey market DVD import called Avalon, by all means rent or buy it. It should be available through
better anime shops around the country.

Its a Japanese/Polish scifi production that has brilliant cinematography and use of color. The script is about people getting caught up in an addictive VR game, but unlike some of the crappy stuff using that premise over here in the USA, the execution is superb and compelling. The CGI is minimalist, but very effective.

One of the best low budget SciFI pictures around, even for those who don't like SciFI.

For anyone who has seen it, I would love to discuss the picture with them, especially the influences I saw from different films in different genres.

Joe Carney
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #20
Air China Pilot

Avalon

Avalon was all right. As you said, the integration of the 3D and the live action was good and the entire look of the film was very nice. However, the story itself was rather shallow and nothing new. I enjoyed how the look changed when she finally got to the place she was looking for but the ending left much to be desired.

Very nice music.

The director of Avalon was Katsuhiro Otomo, better known for being the creator of Akira (as well as numerous manga).
Old October 9th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I agree with you on the ending, sort of a let down, but felt the story was deeper than it at first seemed. but as I (and you) said, I really liked how the movie was put together. Good example of technique and minimalist use of color. A good film for study for the pacing and cinemtagraphy. Just my opinion though.

Wasn't Otomo involved with Princess Monoke?

p.s I just got the gray market import of Spirited Away. Gonna view it this weekend.
Old October 9th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #22
Air China Pilot

I don't believe Otomo was involved in Mononoke Hime; that's a Studio Ghibli movie under the helm of Miyazaki.

Spirited Away is a very good movie. I will probably take my friend's children to it this weekend to see how the dubbing is. I've heard it was quite decent and matches the original cast's voices.

Because I saw Dolls last week I became more interested in Joe Hishaishi's music and downloaded a number of MP3s from his work on Miyazaki's films. Listening to the sad but grandiose theme to Mononoke Hime I couldn't help but be moved. Of course, I can't get the theme from My Neighbour Totoro out of my head.
Old October 9th, 2002, 06:59 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

Here's a random one: Peter Jackson, director of Fellowship of the Rings, had several movies under his belt that are less well known. One is "Bad Taste." Anyone seen it? It's so great.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #24
Inner Circle

>>I don't believe Otomo was involved in Mononoke Hime; that's a Studio Ghibli movie under the helm of Miyazaki.<<
Thanks for setting that straight.

Do I sense a fellow OTAKU? I'm not quite that rabid, but I have about 200 VHS and DVDs of anime, of all types (yes I mean all types). Don't dress up though. thats a bit much even for me.

I've watched Ghost in the Shell at least 20 times. Princess Monoke at least 5 times. Have the Akira special version released last year.

I'm more into the way far out stuff. thinking about picking up the Pat Labor series after watching it on the Action Network.
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

John, you're the fourth person who said I should check out "Bad Taste." He also did Dead Alive, with that classic line
from the karate Preacher...'I kick Ass for the Lord'.
One of the funniest, goriest so called 'Horror' films I've ever watched.
Old October 9th, 2002, 10:32 PM   #26
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Here's a random one: Peter Jackson, director of Fellowship of the Rings, had several movies under his belt that are less well known. One is "Bad Taste." Anyone seen it? It's so great. -->>>

Not yet, but I was a big fan of DEAD ALIVE (Braindead) years before I knew he was given the chance to do the LORD OF THE RINGS. I'm also one of the few people who liked that Michael J. Fox Horror comedy picture he filmed in New Zealand.
Old October 9th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #27
Air China Pilot

Do I sense a fellow OTAKU? I'm not quite that rabid, but I have about 200 VHS and DVDs of anime, of all types (yes I mean all types). Don't dress up though. thats a bit much even for me.
. -->>>

I'm not that rabid. In fact, aside from MEMORIES and MONONOKE HIME, the COWBOY BEBOP DVDs are the only anime I own. I do *see* a lot of anime, however, because I enjoy it and my roommate has lots. He's into a lot crazier stuff than I am including Ranma and FLCL.
Old October 10th, 2002, 02:29 AM   #28
Slash Rules!

He also did Heavenly Creatures, which I remember was pretty cool. Also, one of his oldies: "Meet the Feebles." It's a demented movie that uses all muppets, I believe. I don't remember what it was about, just that I thought it mostly sucked and there was a panty-sniffing elephant.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #29
Regular Crew

MM.. favourite movies/directors...

Junet (Amelie, City of lost children, Delikatessen, Aliens 4) - Superb cinematographer with a very wicked story twist. Funny thing is that when you see interviews with him, he looks and sound absolutely normal. Not what you would expect from someone dishing out such weird movies. =)

Ridley Scott (i think you all know what he's done). - Very beautiful cinematography in most of his movies. And a good storyteller. Allthough not always working with the best of scripts.

Akira Kurosawa - The master, what can i say. He almost (re)wrote the book on dramatic storytelling. Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, Yojimbo, Sanjuro. All schoolbook examples of how to tell a compelling and action packed story.

Spielberg - Like R. Scott not always working with the best of scripts. But have yet to release an ugly looking picture imho.

Peter Jackson - Very interesting director. And although Bad Tase & Braindead isn't his best work they are sure funny. But imho the one that sticks out the most is Heavenly Creatures which shows that he could do things other than splatter movies. And it is definately evident in the LOTR movies.

Sondenberg - Although scorned at on other threads here for his work on Full Frontal, he has released some very good and interesting movies.

Well, those are a few. For me, going to the movies can be hazardous. If the story is thin and uninteresting i sit through the movie watching for technical stuff. One little tip though (since im sure many here have the professional "handicap" of automatically watch a movie for errors and such); always try to find one good thing and one bad thing whenever you watch a movie. Do not just look for errors and errors since if you "program" yourself on errors, you will be more prone to make them than make something good. So make sure you also find good things that were well made in the movie. It helps immensly.

But lastly, if the movie has a compelling story and its well told... i can go through a entire movie without seeing one glitch (no matter how many there were :).

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:02 AM   #30
Major Player

* * TRUFFAUT * *

I think someone mentioned Truffaut. An excellent director that deals with provocative subject matter.

The "400 Blows" is an excellent film. I love the ambiguous ending... If you have a chance, check it out.

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark