Official Sin City(& Jessica Alba appreciation) thread =^). - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 4th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #31
Slash Rules!

Someone brought a baby to my screening of it.

I thought it was pretty good.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I think it's definitely a sexist movie. I don't mean that as a negative. We need those every once in a while. The first time I saw it the crowd was completely silent, except for the woman behind me who kept making loud snorting noises in disapproval. The second time was a matinee and half the audience was kids. How did they get in there? I didn't see any parents. They enjoyed it a bit more, but in general, both audiences seemed fairly stunned. This isn't an easy movie to ignore.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #33
Slash Rules!

I gotta tell you people, I think the violence had a lot of its shock value. . .uh. . .depleted because of the surreality of the look. When blood is white, it's just not as impactful. They also tended not to show half the things happening, either by cutting away, or whatever. Agree? I've seen much worse.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #34
RED Code Chef

Good point Josh! I remember reading several stories about
movies where people where grossed out by the violance and
graphics. However, when you really looked at the movies they
didn't really show you anything (like the chainsaw scene in scarface)

It's all in our minds <g>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #35
Major Player

The jam-packed theater I watched it in was anything BUT quiet! The audience laughed-out-loud over and over, even in some of the gore sequences. Of course, in the most gruesome parts, the crowd reaction was along the lines of "ewwww!", or some such. I did notice a couple of folks leaving during the movie, but they were sitting in the first couple of rows, so I attribute that to their terrible seating.

To be honest, the movie was a bit more bloody and gory than I thought it would be. I dunno why--the cutaway shots were filmed just like the books, and the actual visual gore shots ("I took away his weapons...both of them") were also straight out of the books.

I guess it just plays different on screen. ;-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #36
Inner Circle

After seeing the movie, it was nice to see such an unPC flic in these conservative times. I did think that by the time Bruce Willis' characters story was told it got monotonous and utterly predictable, though the eye candy and pacing kept it from collapsing.

I wonder what Sir Galahad would have thought of this film?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #37
Inner Circle

The one criticism I've heard that I agree with is that the protagonists in every story were so similar. Surely there was more variety to choose from in Miller's stories than violent, but ultimately redeemable brutes who are obsessed with protecting or avenging women.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #38
Major Player

Uh...no, not really. LOL!
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #39
Major Player

Like Duane said, not really, no. That is the biggest problem with the Sin City books - read one, read them all basically.

Actually it's become a real problem with Miller's writing in general in the past few years.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #40
Slash Rules!

I liked Marv's story the best, then the whores, then bruce and jessica.

I'm sorry, I don't get what Josh Hartnett had to do with anything. I"m dumb.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Rosario Dawson rules. Period. Alba is cute, but a distant second to Dawson. I have a thing for bad girls anyway, much more fun. You pay for it in spades, but worth it. hehehe
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #42
Trustee

Sexiest girls ever in glorious black and white!

Black and white is awesome...I love it so much. The only thing I love more? A black and white movie with the sexiest women on the planet in it! Thanks R.R...lol.

For someone who's never read a comic book in his life (me) - I thought it was pretty cool. I'm not going to start reading comics, but I might start liking these comic book adaptations. (i know this wasn't an adaptation!)

The overall tone was original in my opinion. It felt old and once in a while new, but really it was all new because of the amount of shots and how they were done. It's the visuals that felt old (meaning 30's, 40's 50's time period).

I LOVED the women in this movie. Damn, sexy women make the world go around. My girlfriend said the same thing, so I'm not being sexist or anything...she said it before me.

I think the lighting was really, really well done for an HD picture. I expected less, but it had more than I imagined possible with HD capture. The latest cameras have finally (I think) reached maximum HD-ish look. At this point, I'm thinking all future generations of pro HD cameras will be pretty much indisingishable to film cameras. They have a slight "HD" look still, but the average person can't tell...no way in hell can they tell. It's film to them...the HD revolution has won if you look at HD and film as equals right now. The film really looked sweet...and I was watching it in an old theater with a crappy projector skipping almost the whole time. (it strobes up and down constantly because the film is jumping a sprocket).

Just my opinion, but I think R.R. finally made a movie I could stand all the way through too. The trilogy he made was good, but not great. I'd say this film was good too...great? No, the stories in it weren't life altering for me.

I'm very curious to see Stars Wars next month...has Lucas used the lastest HD cameras the same way? I've got a feeling that he's toned down the lame video game quality of the past 2...maybe it'll have more story and substance.

R.R. is definately doing some interesting things and I look forward to the years ahead with him. The only thing he needs to do and NOT be afraid to take his time...he's to busy trying to make 3 movies a year. That might hurt him, but who knows...he might be a superman filmmaker. We'll see..

Sin City is worth the $ to see in theaters, so check it out if you haven't already! At the very least, it's got some of the sexiest girls ever in glorious black and white!
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #43
Major Player

I just saw this over the wekend on DVD. I was a bit wary going in, but I thought it rocked. Watched it a second time and liked it just as much.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #44
Trustee

there's an extended dir's cut coming in nov/dec?
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #45
Major Player

Cool. I suspected as much.

One detail/connection I noticed that I thought was nice/weird was the use of glowing white for blood, and then the admission by Bishop(?) Roark that Kenny was filled with "White light" when he fed.

I wonder if that was coincidental style choice or an intentional connection. I'm leaning towards intentional. either way it's pretty cool.
Definitely my favorite RR film by a loooong shot.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark