Latest Poirot - shoot the colourist! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 26th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Latest Poirot - shoot the colourist!

I'm a bit of a Poirot fan (have the boxed DVD set) and was eagerly awaiting "Appointment with Death," the latest offering from David Suchet on ITV on Christmas day.

The cast were up to the usual high standard, but I found the colouration intrusive and inappropriate with a kind of OTT super-vivid effect at times (market place exteriors) and nearly blown whites and excessive shadows throughout. I consider that some shots (which surely would have been exposed correctly during production) were ruined and made to look like the work of an amateur cameraman. Any interior shot with an exterior view was made to look simultaneously underexposed on the interior and overexposed on the exterior portion. I couldn't see any detail at all on either extreme.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on the mystic arts of the postproduction colourist, but I would suggest that the general rule is that it is another of these areas of cinema/tv where if it's well done the viewers should not be aware of it at all. The rest of the series was much more subtle - in fact I'd never really noticed the work of a colourist on the DVD boxed set. That's how it should be.

Hope I haven't personally insulted someone on this list who did this gig.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Haven't seen that episode yet, we get Poirot episodes much later in the US. Alan Almond and Cinders Forshaw have DP'd a few Poirot's that turned out nice. Almond did a lot of "Foyle's War" and I believe both Almond and Forshaw worked on one of my favorites, "Jericho", a short-lived series about a detective in the 50's. Some of my favorite stuff; Cinder's work on the episode that takes place in London during a 'black fog' warning is a 'desert island' video for me.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark