Battlestar Galactica (2003-present remake) Season 2. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #31
Trustee

who do you think are the other 8 cylons in the fleet?
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
yesh, but ya gotta agree with me that the majority of the movie spent fighting/being a dog, that's humiliating no matter how dramatic a few scenes can be.
No - a good portion of the first act is, in order to set up his situation. Everything after that is about Li becoming a man again. When he's taken by Bart again (and quite importantly, it's done by his choice, becuase in order to protect Sam and Victoria), he's grown from what he was like before, he's able to appreciate his captivity and do something about, because he is a man. When he is made to fight again, he makes a choice not to hurt or kill anyone, and only fights to save his life, and then to save Sam and Victoria. He's no longer a dog, but a man in control of his own life. And it works because of the dramatic set up of his life as a dog before that. Yes, it's humilitating, it has to be in order to make his reawakening dramatically powerful. By the power of his performance, and his character's self-imposed control over his own life - despite the obstacles he faces - Li's Danny is a character of dignity, who is not pitiable, but full of great strength.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #33
Air China Pilot

I think we can all agree is that regardless of what the role is, actors relish characters that are rounded and have dimensionality.

You could have a role that is the hero of the film, a character who is in every way stalwart and moral. But if the character is flat and boring, any actor will sleepwalk through it and the audience will be bored by it.

You could also have a role of the villain of the film and make that character funny, self-conflicted, in other words human. The actor is challenged by it and the performance carries forward to audience appreciation.

Morgan Freeman began to get notice in "Street Smart". He played a vicious pimp. Who remembers Christopher Reeve in that film as the heroic white reporter? Everyone remembers Freeman's ferocious pimp character.
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #34
Major Player

OFF TOPIC (Kind of)

Keith - I loved 'Tour of Duty' what a blast from the past; thanks!

Yi Fong Yu - I like when people back up replies with statistics. I already knew that Deniro had not done 'majority gangster' flicks but it's nice to see you provide this info into the discussion.

I have yet to give this new Battlestar Galactica my time although I plan on it. I do have revervations about it just not being what I am used to; Starbuck being a girl and Cylons not looking really like anything at all; you shoud be afraid of the Cylons not want to bed one. ;)

The original (stealing from Star Wars or not) was great stuff. I was 8 years old so obviously it blew me away. And who was cooler than Dirk Benedict anyway? Even the Main Theme ruled (still does)

Race in Cinema? Hollywood market's to the common denominator. Period. There is no conspiracies or agendas. If the majority of the population was black, Latin or Asian then we would see that in the majority. I also don't buy into stereotyping. I see plenty of films and/or television that represent all races equally good and bad.

Here's a nice site:

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/overview.htm.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #35
Major Player

hmmm

Correct me if I am wrong, and I may well be, really, but I believe my exact words in reference to Dinero was "more gangster of than any other sort" or some such, not "majority", but after looking at the filmography, I cannot honestly say if this is true or not, because many of the films I have not seen.
so in short I was alluding to knowledge i did not possess. So right or wrong, by my own stards I am still wrong.
I also misinterpretid something Yi Fong Yu said in one of his posts. Wrong again.
Wrong is apparently my specialty.
it is good to be good at something, anyway.

Anyway, I know it's bad form to back down or concede on the internet, but I feel compelled to apologize to everyone, especially Yi Fing Yu for dragging this thread off topic and generally behaving like an @$$.

I also edited the content out of most of my posts, which I realize now was probably the wrong choice, although, in this at least my motives were okay- I didn't want to inflict my stupidity on anyone else.

Well, anyway, sorry.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #36
Trustee

john, re: cylons. there are different models. i think there's the toaster versions where they were afraid of them. but i think the cylons that look like humans are freakier because you dunno who is or who isn't and if they are one, it's very creepy, like ghosts or somn. almost supernaturally scary cause it's a subcreation of humans... it's not supposed to replace humans. very creepy =).
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Yi.

I think Colonel Ti's wife is a cylon.

John.

Hey man, I'm the one who brought up Tour of Duty!! Thank me!!! Lol, I gets no respect, man, none. Lol.

Michael.

I'm not sure exactly what happened since I didn't read all of your posts, but it takes a big man to admit he's wrong. I'm just not sure what you felt was wrong?

I think Deniro is a good actor, really liked Heat!! And Taxi Driver is a really good movie!!!

As for the minority thing, when I first asked the question of course I hadn't intended to start anything. I do know, like most I am sure, that products are directed towards those most likely to purchase them; obviously mainstream America. But, I was thinking more along the lines of a valid reason to have the cylon be asian, since we don't see other asians in BSG. Of course other cylons exist that are not asian, but come on the asian cylon tried to kill adama man!

Good parts are hard to find, I think it's cool we see minorities in BSG, but they could have more. I would have thought, they could have turned Apollo into a minority as well, I mean Adama is Latino, why is his son so caucasian?

NE ways this is me just thinking out loud as usual, don't think too much of it. School starts in a couple weeks and I am full of nervous energy.

Side note: The Cylon we saw looks just like a "Mandroid" a robot sorta thing from the comics (I think seen in The Avengers - Marvel - a long time ago).
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Ramlogan

I'm just not sure what you felt was wrong?
Thanks for ypur kind words. Please understand my unwillingess to answer this question.

I will, however, leave you with one of my favorite quotes, it is from an historian named Richard Adams, (this may be a bit off, but the gist of it is right)
"There is always something to be learned from stupidity, unfourtunately it is always the same lesson: don't be stupid."
He was writing about the Russian Revolution, but it applies equally well to my situation. :)
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Hey Michael.

Sure, no probs man. Thanks for that quote, I studied the Russian Revolution through Russian Cinema last year, and I totally loved looking at those old films: Battleship Potemkin, The End of St. Petersburg, Bed and Sofa, Ballad of a Soldier, The Cranes are Flying, My Name is Ivan (aka Ivan's Childhood), are some good ones I studied if you don't mind B&W, and some are MOS. My Professor would be so proud of me right now!

I'm always on the lookout to add to my knowledge base, so thanks again!
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #40
Air China Pilot

I started reading about a RUssian WWII film called "Look at Me". Did you see it or heard about it? A reviewer said it blows "Saving Private Ryan" out of the water.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #41
Major Player

LOL

Sorry Krystian! Thank you!

KEeith; I can't find any film (Russian WW2 Film). Have any links or.........?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Lol, no probs John :-)

"Look at Me" wasn't on our list. But, I'm gonna email my professor about it for sure!

So this is Off Topic:

One thing I liked about those Russian Films, they had their own sense of aesthetic and they were pretty much pushing the envelope all the time.

Just to digress a bit,

Bed and Sofa was about a threesome - two men and a woman - and it dealt with abortion, and this was in 1927. Talk about controversial!

The Cranes are Flying (really like this movie) featured some outstanding cinematography and nominated for 2 BAFTA, won 2 Cannes (Palm d'Or and special mention for actress), and was a great success on the art house circuit in the USA.

Ballad of a Soldier was another great film that really shows you another side of the war and is very subtle about how it accomplishes this.

The russian films were all done to elevate public awareness of issues affecting the people, but the film makers did not allow themselves to be saddled by mediocrity or politics (although to be honest, these films were funded by the Govt). Sigh...to be a film maker during an era like that is probably not gonna happen for me, but I'll take what I can get!

Back on Topic

So, one thing I've been wondering about BSG (and some other sci-fi shows). Whatever happened to ray guns? Can't we get some laser blaster thingees happening? Better than Andromeda though, since I thought their stuff was weak.

Ever since Alien, Stargate/SG-1, etc. It seems as if we've got lotsa regular firepower. Where's the tech? Military firepower must have evolved if we have StarCruisers man. So what's the deal? Is it just easier to do, and more familiar?

And why would the Cylons have more tech than humans? So they're machines and don't need sleep, food, whatever, doesn't mean we got stupid or something?

I gotta say though, the SG-1, SG-Atlantis and BSG have very good production values. Anyone know how much they spend per episode?

All I know is I'm just a guy, up at almost 2am in the morning trying to enjoy the last couple nights I'll be able to do this b4 I go back to the training camp we call a university! Lol, I'm just kidding, I love my jail cell, uhm dorm room. Sigh.
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
I started reading about a RUssian WWII film called "Look at Me". Did you see it or heard about it? A reviewer said it blows "Saving Private Ryan" out of the water.
I'd love to see that. Most Americans are pretty ignorant about what went on in Russia in WWII, and a good high profile film might do something to raise awareness. There is an excellent book about the battle of Stalingrad called, conincidently enough, "Stalingrad" by Anthony Breevor. Amazon has it but I wasn't certain if it would be okay to post link.
I saw a lego, stopmotion remake of the Battleship Potemkin just the other day.

On topic: I prefer blasters and old cylons, but whatever best serves the story works for me.
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #44
Air China Pilot

Actually it is "Come and See"

I got the title wrong. It is "Come and See" ("Idi i Smotri"). Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11219?v=glance

IMDB:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0091251/
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #45
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
On topic: I prefer blasters and old cylons
http://members.fortunecity.com/wavjunky/swl-c/cylon.wav
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark