Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Together with a theater full of patrons, I found it puzzling and a couple walked out, however this might help if you had strife ....

Observations on film art : TINKER TAILOR: A guide for the perplexed

Cheers.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I'm a LeCarre' junkie, so I have read the book enought times that I could follow the film. It is (imho) one of the very best spy novels ever written, which is why it does't translate to the screen very well. It is too complex, too subtle, to work on the screen. The genius of the book is the intricate characterization of the many players, their personalites, histories, motivations. Trying to reduce this to a comprehensible screenplay is simply improbable. FWIW I loved the movie, but only because I knew what was happening. To someone who might not be familiar with the story, it would be impenetrable.

To make this post relevant: I think there is a lesson here for indy film-makers. Some get so involved with their story, know it so well, that they forget how it will play with someone seeing it for the first time. In editing my own humble pieces, I have always tried to play it back pretending I had never seen it before, to see if all the necessary bits were there. Amazing what I found I had left out....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Never read the book (or seen the TV show).

Loved the movie.

I admit at times I was confused but at the same time I knew that I was meant to be. Its the old unknown-knowns thing. The subject of the film deals with subterfuge, double agents, mysteries, riddles; so I liked the fact that the filmmakers decided to subject us to the same circumstance in which the protagonists were operating. It was a sophisticated ploy. Smiley is such a patient character you know that everything will make sense in the end, even if you have to catch up every now and then.

The ending had a brilliant and unexpected circularity to it. A real sucker-punch.

Excellent movie in every sense.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Major Player

I could see the movie really frustrating people who need to stay on top of the plot. I just kind of assumed during the parts that i was lost that i was supposed to be lost, and marveled at the acting, cinematography and costumes. A very well done film.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I read the book a long time ago and loved the movie. I can see someone getting confused but knew it was part of the story. It really came together well in the end.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It made think of "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold' movie from 1965, with Richard Burton, maybe because it was Burton or/and the writing so good, but it was an adaptation from the novel with the same name and by John le Carré as well. No bones there, however complex of a plot, an remarkable film.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Major Player

It was a very successful TV serial over here in ? the 1980s? Alec Guinness was Smiley. Enough time for the characters and plot to develop. Good supporting actors as well.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

As a major reader of John LeCarre novels, (he spends a lot of time in character development to establish motivation, which then sets the plot) and I own on DVD Smile's People, Tinker Tailor Solder Spy and The Man who came in from the Cold, I thought the editing in this version was done poorly.

As all of LeCarre characters live in a world where no one can be trusted, there where to many scenes of characters looking blankly without the audience knowing why. Also the use of flashbacks in the film was confusing and jarring as the editor did not made clear that it was a flashback. That seems to be a directing mistake.

One minor issue is the were very few female characters - and with the few females that did make the final cut, the themes of sex and infidelity was immediately attached, and I a doubt the movie would appeal to a female audience at all.

The Alec Guinness TV version was much better. It is much closer to the way LeCarre writes.... each scene is crafted to reveal something new, thus the plot and suspense builds up over time to one grand final climax.
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Ray,
there was a very subtle ploy by the director to show when the film went into flashback mode: Smileys glasses are different (distinctly different in fact). At the very beginning Smiley is seen buying new glasses after he is forced out of the Circus; when he wears those he is in the present, when he wears the older ones the scene is a flashback.
The camera focuses on his face a good deal, on his eyes specifically, as he is a spy who watches and observes (even the movies poster reflects this).
I think it was an intelligent move by the director, not a directing mistake (or editing mistake or that matter).

As a standalone movie I thought it worked very well. Maybe people who have read the book will come to it with different expectations however.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Major Player

Agreed with Ray

The TV movie (and the whole miniseries) with Alec Guinness as Smiley is vastly superior (in my memory... I have not seen it since it aired... makes me sound really old age ;)
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark