Traffic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 04:05 AM   #16
RED Code Chef

Region problems can be solved :) I have a region 2 player
which is modified to allow playing all regions. And it plays
back both NTSC / PAL. It think it's even swichable for the
power (220 volt / 50 hz for europe or 110 volt / 60 hz for
US).

Just to let you know :) If you have a computer with DVD
player it's even more easy. Not that I condone pirating,
but I agree that region stuff is not helping anyone :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 04:16 AM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good suggestions.

I'll have to check out the DVD players when I get back to the States. Here, they keep an iron grip on the market...no way any outside brands will be sold. Plus, the items you see for sale here aren't the same that are exported. Generally, electronic items here have fewer options than the same export models, and since they are made for the domestic market, they have no English in their menus, controls, user manuals, etc.

Headache any which way I turn....but at least you've shown me that it's possible back in the States.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM   #18
RED Code Chef

I'm in europe... not in the US. But I think you
can get multy system DVD players in the US
too. Otherwise they can be imported there.

A region patch is available for most players.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 10:09 AM   #19
Machinist Mate

John in Seoul,
y'mean they won't even let you receive something shipped in such as purchased used on eBay? that's pretty harsh. I have never sent anything to S.Korea, although I did sell an old amplifier to a guy in Hong Kong and a camera to someone in Taiwan (thru ebay) I'm sure their customs dept. charged them a pretty penny on import duties.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM   #20

They probably paid quite a bit of tax on the stuff you sent, but probably not as much as they would have here. Korea prefers not to have outside competition, so their import regulations are stiff (however they LOVE to export). Just walk the street here and see how long it takes before you spot a foreign car...might be a very long walk.

Not long ago I was looking for some lighting equipment and reflectors. I searched everywhere I possibly could with my limited knowledge of Korean language. Went into every photo shop I could find, drew pictures of what I needed...everywhere gave me the same "no way, Jose" wave.

Finally, I ordered the stuff from B&H Photo. Had to pay an enormous amount of shipping because of the size. It took B&H two days...just two days...to fill the order and get it here in Seoul. Then, it took five days for customs to contact me and grill me with questions (What is this used for? Why did you buy it? Why?!) They wound up charging about 27% tax based on the invoice amount PLUS the shipping...the shipping!?! I made arrangements to pay the amount, then it took seven...SEVEN...more days to get it delivered to me.

Here's the kicker, though. When I opened up the box and started checking things, what did I find? "Made in Korea" stamped on just about everything.

Everything I've ever ordered from overseas has been an equal nightmare...like being charged for Christmas gifts sent to me, and being charged a value for my eyeglasses that were being returned to me by a hotel in Hong Kong where I'd left them.

Life ain't easy in the Land of Morning Calm.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 01:20 PM   #21
Machinist Mate

Ow, I'll remember that as I drive by all those Kias and Hyundais and Daewoos.
Old June 24th, 2002, 01:39 AM   #22
Slash Rules!

I know we're not on this anymore, but I'd like to go back to blair witch for a moment. As far as I know (maybe you all already knew this), the movie was shot BY THE ACTORS. The director sent them out in the woods with the camera (a little handheld video camera, no?) and no script. There were boxes of food left in the woods at various points, with a card for each actor (possibly a different card for each day). The cards had on them what each actor (character) was supposed to do that day, and they weren't allowed to show the cards to each other. This made some of the conflict much more realistic, and created the plot.

Anyway, my point was, that's why the camerawork looks like crap, not that the movie doesn't suck too.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:39 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Point being in Blair Witch the camera work is *supposed* to look bad. That's why it's so good.

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 05:18 PM   #24
Trustee

<<<- As far as I know (maybe you all already knew this), the movie was shot BY THE ACTORS.

....Anyway, my point was, that's why the camerawork looks like crap...>>>

I believe you are only partially correct here...two of the three "actors" were actually, in real life, cameramen...so I think Chris's point is more correct...the camera work was intended to look bad....And while I could have used a few less shaky shots of the ground, I think the important thing is that a few people, with a great Idea, a small budget, and some savvy marketing were able to attract the attention of ten million "core" viewers (teenagers) without the backing of a studio or star....which means any of us could do the same thing.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 09:31 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

Fair enough, but I still don't see how that movie cost 20,000 to make. Unless it was the film transfer.
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:02 PM   #26

Catering.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 11:46 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Are you for real? Jesus Christ people. . .here's seven dollars each--go to Subway!

I assume you're kidding though. Cast/crew of three. . .
Old June 26th, 2002, 01:10 AM   #28
Trustee

You'd be surprised just how quickly the costs can mount up. Remember it's not just the filming where talking about, you have to take into account pre production, planning, location scouting, script prep, insurance, etc. Then the production costs, cameras, film/tapes, catering, transportation etc. And finally the post production, processing, editing, transfering, marketing, legals and what not. It all adds up quicker than you can say low budget.

Even the sports videos I've been involved with cost more than $20 000 to make, so I think they did a pretty good job in that respect.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2002, 02:00 AM   #29
Slash Rules!

I guess I always assumed "someone else" paid for most of that stuff. . .I have no idea what I'm talkin about.
Old June 26th, 2002, 07:48 AM   #30
Trustee

I've seen various reports that the filmmakers spent $25-$40,000 on the film, which seems about right to me. What amazed me was, after purchasing the film, Artisan spent $350,000 just to rework the sound...amazing the difference working in Hollywood makes.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark